Now where did those come from

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve in France
Location info: 0

Now where did those come from

Post by Steve in France »

No Bamboo in the area, any guesses what they are ?
Attachments
DSC01933.JPG
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Now where did those come from

Post by Alan_L »

If it's your S3, how can I get a piece of that rhizome?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Hard to tell from this distance but it looks like parvifolia no?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Steve in France

Parvifolia yes
There are about 6 small culms of S3 to dig up plus the odd larger culm . I think Steve Lau is going to come down and dig some divisions. I'm not mailing stuff out any more but anyone pasting or is welcome to take a division. Or ask Steve if he can put one away for you.
there are also about 6 Prominens culms of 1 inch and bigger that need to come out and find a home plus about equal numbers of Parvifolia to come out.
Attachments
DSC01935.JPG
Steve in France

Great colour on Parvifolia this year
Attachments
DSC01903.JPG
richr

Post by richr »

Until I saw the other photo's, I was convinced it was 'Spontaneous Generation".
Steve in France

here is S3 heading up 30 ft or so ,with the odd 3 inch culm.
Plus the small S3's to come out and the Prominens by the pot , the inch plus culms that need a new home.
Attachments
S3
S3
S3 small culms from severed rhizome
S3 small culms from severed rhizome
prominens, 1nch plus culms from the pot in the wrong spot
prominens, 1nch plus culms from the pot in the wrong spot
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

I'd like a Prominen. Pretty sure there're none in Toronto. Love to have shanghai3 as well if it is indeed a better version of dulcis. My Parvifolia ran about 1 to 2 feet after just one season from a whip-culm planting. It really likes to run, especially if the soil is soft and rich.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

1-2ft is not bad for a first year. My parvifolia also only went 1-2ft last year as it took forever for the culms to leaf out, and the drought didn't make things any better.

It's not that hard to ship 1 inch culms. It's just that they need to be carefully broken at a couple points so the culm can fit in a bamboo box, and be splinted back together again at arrival.

I should have dragged some rhizome along with the Shanghai III divisions as they really aren't doing much other than leafing out the existing culms. I think this type of bamboo does not want to make any shoots unless it can be an upsize. Shanghai III does seem to upsize quickly, but would it survive a zone 5 even if you gave it a Tipi tarp + barrels of water+christmas lights? Sometimes you might need the absolute hardiest bamboo just because the soil ends up freezing around the protected area, and even very good protection cannot keep it alive. I just don't think S3 is all that hardy, but prominens does seem very hardy.
Steve in France

I've been looking at the new culms to see where they start to branch out. S3 is starting at about 6 ft up, prominens is at about 4 feet up and parvifolia is branching from 12 to 18 inches up . These culms are all about the same size , an 1 to 1 1/2 ,so the difference in branch points is pretty amazing. It means that larger parvifolia culm divisions are not a problem as they start to branch way down the culm. But prominens is going to be harder to take shippable divisions as the branches don't start until 4 ft or so. S3 does not size up so fast in colder climates, the Summer heat here makes a huge difference.
Parvifolia has put up a couple of larger late culms , I've not measured them yet but they look to be in the 2 inch range.
Steve in France

As I said before anyone who is passing can take division. If your in Maryland , Virginia , Delaware or DC it's not so far , we are near the Beltway, Rockville , North Bethesda area. The big stuff should be ready in a couple of weeks with this hot weather. The bigger the car the bigger the single culm division that can be moved. :D
p.s. There maybe one or two vivax H Inversa, maybe Brads or David's orginal stock as they both sent me one. Very stable
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Parvifolia yes
There are about 6 small culms of S3 to dig up plus the odd larger culm . I think Steve Lau is going to come down and dig some divisions. I'm not mailing stuff out any more but anyone pasting or is welcome to take a division. Or ask Steve if he can put one away for you.
there are also about 6 Prominens culms of 1 inch and bigger that need to come out and find a home plus about equal numbers of Parvifolia to come out.
As far as parvifolias, I'm out in terms of the divisions I'm willing to take off for this year as the one piece that sticks out of my grove is already committed by somebody relatively close by. It's about time to let it upsize as opposed to last year when I ended up dividing off about 70% of the grove, which surprisingly still allowed it to upsize a little bit.

It is possible for me to go down, to MD, which is around 360 miles south of here, meaning a 6+ hour drive, over $100 in gas, and an entire day, but if there are still enough people who need parvifolias, shanghai IIIs, or prominens, and are willing to pay for what it takes to get it, I don't mind spreading more boos.