Need repotting - division needed too?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sfrangu
Location info: 0

Need repotting - division needed too?

Post by sfrangu »

I have to repot the new bamboo I got for my son as a bday present last month. Not only I need to change the potting mix because it seems kind of compact, but trying to get the moisture meter inside the pot I think I hit some rhizomes that were very close to the top. Does this mean it's rootbound? Or will I need to make divisions when repotting? I want to repot it this weekend and I have no idea what to do. Or can I keep everything as is now and just pot it up?

Thank you.

Mima
dependable

Re: Need repotting - division needed too?

Post by dependable »

When you take plant out of pot, if roots are visible along the sides and especially at outside of bottom, it is root bound. It is good to break up those root pads before planting or re potting in bigger container. If it has plenty of shoots, and you want more than one plant, it is a convenient time to divide plant.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Thank you. So it wouldn't be necessary otherwise.

When you say break them, if they don't have new shoots, do I just discard them?
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

If you plan on putting it in a bigger pot, then I wouldn't worry much about the root bound thing. New roots and rhizomes will find their way out. But, if you are to break the roots to promote faster growth, be sure not to break the rhizomes. Rhizomes are underground culms that is different from stringy roots. Rhizomes are expensive to replace because it holds much of the plant's energy reserve.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Thanks for pointing that out. Is good to know so I won't do something irreparable to it.
Pokenei, I don't intend to put it in a planter just yet, maybe in a 2-gallon pot and see how it goes from there. I will have to search for pictures of roots and rhizomes because illustrations might look different than the real plant.

I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here, is so wonderful to talk with bamboo-growers and lovers fellows. :)
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Would it be good to repot it in cactus-palm potting mix? I want to get some cor for my plumies and I was wondering if it would be good for the bamboo too. Maybe mixed with something else?
jd.

Post by jd. »

Here's a photo of a rhizome with two new shoots (center left and upper far right) extracted from the ground in the spring.
The relatively thin roots radiate outward from each node of the rhizome.
bamboo_rhizome_and_shoots-phyllostachys_parvifolia-20120505-smfpcjecdpwh.jpg
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Wow, such a perfect picture! Thanks for your help! :D I saved it on my computer, to have it close when I'm going to repot the nigra. I will then see what was the white thing that was so close to the surface. Maybe a new shoot? I'm so curious now!

When repotting, I was thinking to fertilize it too. Is it OK to do it now? I think it's already acclimatized to its new home, it's been more than 6 weeks since we got it. Also, will the cactus/palm mix work for bamboo or is it too draining of a soil? Or not enough?
jd.

Post by jd. »

When a plant's roots are disturbed in a transplant, the usual recommendation is to delay fertilizer for a few weeks or however long it takes for the roots to recover. Too much fertilizer will cause more stress. That said, if a plant is simply dropped into a larger container without disturbing the roots at all, then I don't imagine you'd need to wait long before fertilizing.

For a bamboo in a container, it's best to err with potting soil with too much drainage rather than not enough. :)
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Ok, got it. That's what I thought too about the potting mix. And I will wait with the fertilizer for a week though.

Thank you for all your help!
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

Would it help to add some compost to the well draining potting mix? Here's what I found at Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_49674-11628-320 ... fo=Compost

And this would be the potting mix if you think it's good enough for P. nigra:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_107434-11628-13 ... s_dollar|1

I've heard that bamboo likes heavy soil... and this came form a person that grows bamboo - not nursery level but still. This really got me confused.
jd.

Post by jd. »

If you already have the palm potting mix, you can add some composted organic material to increase moisture retention.
sfrangu wrote:I've heard that bamboo likes heavy soil... [...] This really got me confused.
Just remember that growing in a confined pot is not quite the same as growing in the ground.

Without the open ground, heavy soil in a small container can hold too much water or deprive roots of oxygen.
A transplanted bamboo with disturbed roots may be less able to tolerate a heavy soil with too much moisture.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

That's what I thought too. Way different to grow bamboo or other plants in the ground than in pots. Thank you, jd.
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

What type of compost would work the best for P. nigra, or bamboo in general? I've found this at Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_49674-11628-320 ... fo=Compost
Or maybe some chicken manure? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
Or steer manure? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
I know it would be better to have this home made but it's not the case here, so I need to buy it.

Also, do I need to fertilize it (I have slow release Osmocote) if I use one of the above?

Thank you for any input.

Mima
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

This is the nigra and its roots/rhizome:
Rootball at the removal from old pot
Nigra in its new 2 gallon pot
Nigra in its new 2 gallon pot