Fargesia Robusta in planter boxes

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Nocturnal
Location info: 0

Fargesia Robusta in planter boxes

Post by Nocturnal »

Hey all!

I am curious about growing Fargesia Robusta in planter boxes.

I came up with a lovely idea of building a raised deck with hot tub, and wanted to use something as a privacy wall. Somehow bamboo came to mind and I started my research into which type I would want to use for a privacy wall. Fargesia Robusta came to the forefront.

Specifically what I want to know is what size planter box should I provide for Fargesia Robusta, and how close should I plant each cluster?

In the end, I would want to grow a fairly dense wall, but at the same time I don't need it to grow to its full height (I have read that growing in pots will limit its growth height, any truth to this?). I am aware that I will need to divide the plant maybe every 2 years, depending on planter size.

Any additional information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to start a trial run on growing in planters soon.

-Todd
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Fargesia Robusta in planter boxes

Post by johnw »

Todd - Welcome. it might help if you described your climate there for forumists.

Here F. robusta Campell is the hardiest form of robusta but not satisfactory below -15c, others may disagree but that's our finding in coastal NS.

johnw
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

Welcome! If I were you, i'd go for something with a larger margin for cold hardiness. I looked up your location and it says you're in zone 7 which is within robusta's range, but if you went with something like fargesia rufa, you could have a similar screen of clumping bamboo but with much more cold hardiness. When you put a plant in a pot or planter box instead of in the ground, you lose some hardiness, so you should select the species accordingly. I don't have anything else to add other than I'm super jealous of your deck/hot tub/bamboo idea. It sounds awesome.
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

Winters here tend not to get any colder than -10... and that's a rarity in itself, and only over night, and not for long periods. Snow, maybe 5 days a year... but the rain... ooooh the rain... yes... I'm in a rain forest.

I'll look into F. Rufa, but I don't recall seeing that available anywhere locally but I'll definatly inquire.

Now aside from selection of the right variety of plant, what size planters should I be considering for clumping bamboo? I recall seeing somehwere mention 18"d x 18"h, planted 3 ft apart. I'd like to plant them closer together so as to have a screen sooner than later, but want to make sure I do it right.

Before this private deck idea takes off, I want to plant one pot and see how it does. Its going to be about 2 years before I get a chance to bring this idea to reality.

-Todd
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hi Todd and welcome,

I live in Comox and I have over 30 varieties of bamboo planted in my yard, which I might also add is going to be a jungle soon.....lol. I have a great contact just outside Courtenay by the sunny dale golf course for many clumping and runninng varieties. Seems like your interested in clumpers and she has lots to choose from. Scabrita is nice, woolong and there are some borindas there too that are slightly on our climate zone boarder but interesting to grow. Her names Diane and she's really great to deal with. Tell her I sent you. My names Kailey BTW. And o yeah.... Be ware because when you start buying bamboo it can be ooooo so addictive. :shock:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Scabrita is nice, ...
Maybe just a typo, but there's enough confusion on bamboo names already... if you're talking about the Fargesia species, it's Fargesia scabrida. It definitely is pretty -- I just wish it could take the heat and humidity here. My potted one died last year. :(
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Ooops. Typo lol. Correction : Scabrida.

Yes it's sure is a nice species and surprisingly can take the full sun up here in Comox. A lot better then the straight robusta that's for sure. One of my favorites though is definitely the woolong with its large dark green tropical looking leaves. Really like the culm color of the Scabrida though.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Am in a maritime zone 7a and F robusta does quite well here. Was killed to ground in freak freeze (below 0 f) once, but that's it. Leaves look pretty ratty at end of winter if it gets below 10-15 f for any length of time. Not as sure about containers. Any outside containerized plant can be killed if container fills with water then freezes solid.