Phyllostachys parvifolia

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cichlidius
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys parvifolia

Post by Cichlidius »

Hello, I planted Phyllostachys parvifolia last June and was wondering when it usually send shoots up. All of my other bamboo has already shot up. Just wanted to know if it shoots late or something. I'm in northeast ohio.
T9D

Re: Phyllostachys parvifolia

Post by T9D »

That's strange. Parvifolia was my second bamboo to shoot. It's already leafing out now. I planted mine last year too. And it shot that same year. And now tons this year.

Guess it must have had more shock than expected or something. Hopefully it will catch up. Maybe some fertilizer will help.
Cichlidius

Post by Cichlidius »

Thanks, I'm just worried that it won't shoot at all this year. It looks healthy, we had a fairly mild winter and I don't notice much leaf burn. I'll try fertilizing more, hopefully there isn't anything wrong.
Cichlidius

Post by Cichlidius »

Well, I believe I just figured out why it doesn't appear to be shooting. My wife got a little too close with the mower. That's a lesson learned.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

If it makes you feel any better, my parvifolia which has been in the ground for 7 years is not shooting, but badly damaged culms are trying to leaf out. I believe when this happens, there's a delay in the shooting season as a survival mechanism since the bamboo wants to have foliage a sap.

It should be soaring into the 80s through Memorial Day weekend so I believe shoots should be up by the start of June.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

I have 2 in 20 gallon buckets. once is shooting 4 nice shoots and the other not yet.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
fatpaw

Post by fatpaw »

does anyone have any parvifolia bamboo plants that they want to sell? I am interested in getting some starts for a couple of groves!!!!!!!