Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Tarzanus »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:
Nicholas wrote:
Deane wrote: Yeah from your pictures your right how about this Phyllostachys rubicunda 'Aureovariegata' although I think it’s still different
I guess this is from Jos' list?

A rubicunda seedling may be a possible candidate if it is a phyllo given that it flowered (is still flowering?) a few years ago.
In this respect other phyllos that recently went into flower such as phyllostachys arcana, praecox or kwangsiensis may also be interesting candidates.

I just wish we had pictures of a more mature specimen.

This was a tissue culture plant and not a seed grown plant though.
In this case, there is a mature sized bamboo out there that looks identical. Without gene recombination, the characteristics of the plant should remain identical to the donor of bamboo cells used in tissue culture process. I guess if the nursery in which they did the TC started seeds a few years ago and received a nicely variegated and vigorous seedling, they could make a bunch of copies in like 2 years, perhaps even sooner.

I hope someone manages to get first shoots that will be large enough to allow ID or at least narrow the list of possible candidates.

I have 3 Phyllostachys arcana seedlings with leaf variegation that slightly resembles variegation of 'Phyllostachys nigra variegata' from some of the photos I've seen published. They have similar progressive kind of variegation - lime green leaf color at first, then after a week or so, the striping becomes more and more evident. Check the first photos from Deane if you want to know what i mean.
Dean's photo. Check the youngest leaves that are lime green. They go to mopre variegated striped pattern when they get older.
http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/download/f ... d=4803&t=1
The leaves are not healthy and I've had some necrosis on lower leaves. It can be seen, however, that the fresh leaves are lime green with hardly any variegation and the variegation occurs as the leaves age.
https://img.cold-hardy.com/2017/08/p-ar ... summer.jpg
Younger seedling photo - leaves are somewhat healthier. Youngest leaf is almost uniform regarding the color, some striping can be seen. The second youngest leaf has variegation, but the yellow striping is still somewhat green. Third leaf is already variegated and doesn't get much different as it matures into an old leaf - the color of the striping becomes even more yellow, yet, it's not that drastic. All three seedlings I've grown show the same pattern. The major difference among them is, that one of the seedlings looses the variegation completely from time to time and becomes fully variegated when it feels fit. I think there must be an environmental trigger. It colored up this autumn and lost the variegation when I planted it outside in the spring. I'll know more next year if all goes well.
https://img.cold-hardy.com/2016/12/phyl ... edling.jpg
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

I still think it really could be Phyllostachys nigra aureovariegata (variegata).

Look here (last 4 pictures): http://forum.bambusy.info/post/7560/#p7560

Old stems are going to black, the same like normal Ph. nigra. Black spots are visible already. Branching looks like Phyllostachys, not like Pleioblastus or Hibanobambusa.

New shoots are not hairy, so it is not Moso.

Leaves has shape and size like nigra. For me looks like small nigra.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

In threads above you talk about Phyllostachys nigra Kiyoshi.

I am lucky to have one small in my garden. It is similar in size like Phyllostychys nigra aureovariegata. Look at the stems, has similar black spots.

I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I think it’s Nigra as well. Moso’s can’t take the abuse that this thing has been through to get here. But I wouldn’t complain either if it was an edulis. I’d actually be happier haha.

Here’s some more pics.
Attachments
7805E80D-E284-4116-A7C4-5159B03A0D8C.jpeg
5F5EFEF0-8766-4DEE-86DB-3D1AFB52F4A4.jpeg
EBB8CA0F-924E-4F57-A6BC-C3B0CFBAADD0.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

And more. The leaves are very small on this.
Attachments
97EED9C6-46A9-4FF3-9EF1-EA02A18FCB87.jpeg
88D7C37A-4CD1-4E2B-981E-419F5F71EF15.jpeg
786CEACA-86A5-4EE5-921D-BF622DCC37E5.jpeg
Deane

Post by Deane »

Well after buying some mite infested bamboos and treating them thanks to Chris they are starting to leaf up and to my surprise today one has 3 new shoots, how are everyone else doing
Attachments
6F6146B2-790C-4ED8-87FA-08569D80F06D.jpeg
EDD56068-FEAD-4262-AEF7-D1A14E8CAF49.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

Good to hear yours is doing well.

Mine is shooting too inside the heated GH. The culms are a small small upsize from last year. Nothing really that’s showing me that’s its nigra yet. I’d like to be able to see nice shoots with the classic nigra look to them.

I’ll post some pics later.
Van-isle-bamboo

Here’s the new leaves. I’m seeing small shoots still. Probably and upsize of about 2x last year. Still really small though. There is a sulcas and two branches per node right now. Older tiny culms are blackening. The culms are rough to me. Maybe..... soft but more rough.

At this point I’m still clueless on true ID
Attachments
99E32D37-7096-4659-9304-1678AD5CFFF9.jpeg
Deane

Post by Deane »

Mine are coming along nice after there treatment
Attachments
26788432-8CB9-4442-8391-C57E29C7FAEB.jpeg
AC364C56-8107-4D9C-8E60-D1F6A38CCE94.jpeg
6176F9F4-AFB5-432A-A857-F6431A9FEEEA.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

Looking good m8. I’ve got mine planted in the ground now. Super excited to see what it turns into.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Looking good m8. I’ve got mine planted in the ground now. Super excited to see what it turns into.
I have that one in ground in greenhouse and one in a pot in polytunnel
wufeng

Post by wufeng »

New leaves on the new stems are very decorative. Old leaves turn to green. Plant is growing outside. Has survived -17°C, but carefully covered. NOt vigorous grower. It is weak TC plant. Has many very thin stems.

Deane

Post by Deane »

I have definitely seen a difference between my one growing in the ground inside my greenhouse compare to my one outside in the ground
Attachments
4EE2B8F8-2FC6-4160-8CBB-64789514D94B.jpeg
1C5610A1-B6F2-48D2-829F-797A43D3C989.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

It’s really going to be interesting to see what this turns out to be like.

So far I’ve already taken two divisions from my one small plant outside. It’s really been fast to spread around. Producing lots of rhizomes and little whip shoots.

One shoot has decided to look like an aureosulcata though.... green leaves and rough culm.

I saw a var nigra in Japan last week. The person at the garden said it was very rare and they only had it in a pot ( 10 gal). The tallest culms were 8’ high and the leaves were not A beautiful variegation. One day I hope to get a division from it.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Looks more and more like HB 'Shiroshima'.
Thank you for posting photos, it's nice to see how they develop. It will be interesting the following spring as they may start setting first larger shoots. They should look great!

Regressing into P. aureosulcata would only be possible if it's chimeric and only if it's hybrid of P. nigra and P. aureosulcata. Could that be the case?