Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Tarzanus »

Clap clap clap clap
The bamboo loving audience cheering in the background.

Yes, we bamboo nuts have empathy for bamboo, somerimes stronger than other people. :mrgreen:

I have learned a few things and the most important advice I can give you about pampering your bamboo is - it usually isn't the best idea. When it's young and fragile, I usually let it be and just check if it needs water. I rather keep them dry than overly wet and only fertilize with grass clippings mulch. Well I do plant them into rich compost mix so they are good for a year or 3. I tried watering with the water from my pond in which ducks swim and do most of the guano dumping business. Worked more than great on all my vegetables. Chilies wanted to become trees last year. It is highly diluted, but I guess still works as fertilizer. I admit, I watered my small seedlings with it as well, but only between every 2 or 3 regular waterings. :mrgreen:
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Deane, Sorry mate, I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I really do not like the look of those leaves - they should be flat. I would strongly advise you to diligently wash the underside of each and every leaf under a gently running tap, preferably with a toothbrush, preferably twice, and repeat after a month, and every week when it warms up. Quarantine is also advised. I think I may well be seeing wheat curl on your plant. This may seem like a chore, but imagine if you had to do it to all your bamboos. Alternatively consider cutting it right down to the compost, or just putting it in the bin.
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Deane

Post by Deane »

Chris S wrote:Deane, Sorry mate, I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I really do not like the look of those leaves - they should be flat. I would strongly advise you to diligently wash the underside of each and every leaf under a gently running tap, preferably with a toothbrush, preferably twice, and repeat after a month, and every week when it warms up. Quarantine is also advised. I think I may well be seeing wheat curl on your plant. This may seem like a chore, but imagine if you had to do it to all your bamboos. Alternatively consider cutting it right down to the compost, or just putting it in the bin.
Thanks Chris I will wash them and quarantine them, there in a green house with palms and 3other bamboos so will take out other bamboos. I bought them from a company I don’t use normally but was excited by the prospect of a new Nigra, I am thinking now why I bothered
Deane

Post by Deane »

So I have put the said bamboos under the hand lens and there was loads of bug skin(shed) but could not see anything else but obviously there could still be so have washed the leafs with brush and water then sprayed with a pesticide and put them in quarantine, not sure if my photos show much they where taken on a iPhone thought a hand lens
Attachments
C506D744-6F59-4BE3-A5B9-E70CF7F3027C.jpeg
B1979E31-4FBB-45E0-A4F4-3F3C30579505.jpeg
0FC68608-B23D-4818-8F49-CB2EED854C5A.jpeg
Chris S
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Well done Deane, if you get a bamboo with lots of dry skins, then that means that it had a lot of critters that were recently sprayed, but chances are there were also plenty of eggs as well, and as they are not so easily killed they can merrily hatch away, which I why I said repeat the treatment.

It is really hard to see tiny mites like these clearly, even with a hand lens. They are much smaller than aphids or scale or the 8 legged mites, and are hard to distinguish from short hairs. These ones are transparent to whitish, and about the same length as short hairs, around one fifth of a mm long, but 2-3 times as thick. https://amarillo.tamu.edu/about-our-web ... curl-mite/
Hard to see whether what is in your photo is little skinny 2-legged mites or hairs, or a mixture, but then again of course, nigra doesn't have any hairs..., though edulis does, and hairs all point in the same direction... Farmers recognise wheat curl mites largely by the virus that they spread, wheat streak mosaic virus, never actually seeing the mites, but bamboos might well not be susceptible to the virus. This is a really steep learning curve for all of us (including Hayloft!), so thanks for your help. I'm just guessing what might be making your leaves curl, and I might be way off target, but well worth cleaning your leaves up anyway.
Chris
SE England

Deane

Post by Deane »

Thank you Chris, edulis does seem to fit this bamboo quite well with the hairs,hard to grow on and so forth maybe Phyllostachys edulis `Summer Snow`
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

More like 'Yellow Snow' , or 'Husky Snow' ,

Don't you buy that Yellow Snow

(Zappa, in case you are too young to appreciate that)
Chris
SE England

Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I love my var..... whatever it is lol but let’s face it. What a shame that hayloft or whoever people got theirs from, didn’t take the time and figure out what they are selling first. How easy would that of been really :roll: I wish it was easier to post pictures here becuse I would share some but size is always the issues and I’m using an iPhone. Mine looks spectacular in the lead department. It looks slightly different from my friends “okina” and I think “summer snow” is just another fancy name for it ( correct me if I’m wrong)

Anyone wants to look you could always check out my fb page under vanisle-Bamboo or go to my page world of temperate bamboo as wel
needmore

Post by needmore »

Van-isle, you could put a link to your site in your signature line here.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Splendid looking bamboo, Van-isle! I hope you see some more Phyllostachys looking shoots this spring. Pencil size at least for starters. :)
Will be interesting to see how it grows. It's strange that there doesn't seem to be any mature size photos of this bamboo. Highly doubt it's nigra though.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:I love my var..... whatever it is lol but let’s face it. What a shame that hayloft or whoever people got theirs from, didn’t take the time and figure out what they are selling first. How easy would that of been really :roll: I wish it was easier to post pictures here becuse I would share some but size is always the issues and I’m using an iPhone. Mine looks spectacular in the lead department. It looks slightly different from my friends “okina” and I think “summer snow” is just another fancy name for it ( correct me if I’m wrong)

Anyone wants to look you could always check out my fb page under vanisle-Bamboo or go to my page world of temperate bamboo as wel
If you down load a app called “Image size “ it’s really easy just put pic in and It resizes it to 1000x1000
Attachments
3D615EFB-FFC0-4437-894E-E1CC45D68E24.jpeg
EFC46951-DC9F-4683-94D5-5203A3C180A9.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll try some of those.

I have a image size already but it’s the wrong one and confusing. I’ll load that one you suggested Deane.

Tarzanus.... that would be super to see some Pencil sized shoots! It’s doing really well right now ( or it was two weeks ago before I left to CR ) so fingers crossed it’s still happy.

Needmore.... it’s my Facebook so is it possible to link that then too? I’m rrally not very Internet savy
Van-isle-bamboo

Pics attached with the new app. Thanks for the help Deane :D
Attachments
59A34B3A-7BA9-4CCC-8966-FC501036E2C2.jpeg
6CE9E99D-DC88-4623-A543-B8FF23335E0B.jpeg
2B9E5659-86F2-46F0-BE65-F20ACCBB7B45.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

More pics.
Attachments
B958043C-A084-4145-9693-F2A0316FF87D.jpeg
902EFA33-C123-4C14-BD17-A5EAE901BE93.jpeg
B5708650-B3A7-4D58-8976-5E4F77F4EE3D.jpeg
Deane

Post by Deane »

Your very welcome Kailey, your boo is looking really good, I think you would be happy if it does turn out to be edulis var