Potting up sizes

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Potting up sizes

Post by Deane »

I am going to be building a new bamboo bed this winter and have started to gather bamboos to go in the bed ,anyway my question is I have 2 bamboo in 2L pots bursting at the seams and want to repot them but how big of a pot can I use as they will be in said pot until spring 2017 thanks in advance
dependable

Re: Potting up sizes

Post by dependable »

I would go at least to 8 liter. 2l is a very small pot, bamboos grow exponentially when young. Pots that have a shallow aspect to them, not tall and thin, seem more efficient for most bamboos.

Remember to break up 'pads' of roots that form on sides and bottom of pot if root bound, and be ready to re plant in 20l pot for 2018, if it is a runner anyway.
Deane

Post by Deane »

dependable wrote:I would go at least to 8 liter. 2l is a very small pot, bamboos grow exponentially when young. Pots that have a shallow aspect to them, not tall and thin, seem more efficient for most bamboos.

Remember to break up 'pads' of roots that form on sides and bottom of pot if root bound, and be ready to re plant in 20l pot for 2018, if it is a runner anyway.
Thanks for your reply , the bamboos are Phyllostachys aureosulcata Alata and Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis ,I plan to put them in ground Spring 2017 so only need to be in pots until then ,I take it it will not do the bamboos any harm moving them straight from 2L pot to 8l then
dependable

Post by dependable »

8l should get you though until spring of 2017.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks very much there all potted up in there new pots now and not before time they where so pot bound I had to cut off old pots