Bambusa oldhamii in colder areas?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

vindiesel.zmaj
Location info: 0

Bambusa oldhamii in colder areas?

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

Hi. Did someone attempted to grow Oldhamii in zone 7? Can it be done? It probably won't reach it's maximum, but can it be done? All your experiences is very welcome. For example, I've seen bamboo grown in zone 4 and 5. It dies to the ground every year, but it comes back in late spring-summer time...
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bambusa oldhamii in colder areas?

Post by Cooper12 »

I'm curious about how it does long term as well. I haven't really tried it in my zone 8 climate. My potted one died over winter a few years ago. I've read on a few occasions in cooler areas than mine it dies to the ground and comes back each year. I'm not sure how good that is for the plant though. My zone 8 can start freezing anytime from now thru may
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
john voss
Location: on several acres of former clearcut corn field near folsom,la. loam concrete when dry, jello when wet.

Post by john voss »

due to a mild winter - I have several near fullsize culms - in zone 8. very exciting to see! but not dependable- and will likely fry in January- if history is prologue.

there are four nearly four inch diameter culms at present- one is towering over a nearby 35 foot tall loblolly pine.

I moved these plants here from new Orleans, after Katrina(hurricane). On the south shore of lake ponchartrain, they grew to their full 50 foot stature.
zone 8b near folsom,la.
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

So it should be possible? I mean, can the root system survive with some heavy mulching? I was thinking to try it. It would be sourounder by tall wall of yellow groove bamboo, so it won't get any wind during winter.
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

john voss wrote:due to a mild winter - I have several near fullsize culms - in zone 8. very exciting to see! but not dependable- and will likely fry in January- if history is prologue.

there are four nearly four inch diameter culms at present- one is towering over a nearby 35 foot tall loblolly pine.

I moved these plants here from new Orleans, after Katrina(hurricane). On the south shore of lake ponchartrain, they grew to their full 50 foot stature.
This is good news. I actually decided against Old Hamii due to my climate zone which is very similar to yours.

I'm headed to South Florida after Thanksgiving to pick up some more plants and was going to include this species to my mix. I wish now I had gotten one in May '16 when I planted Graceful, Emerald, Kanapaha and Blue Chungii. All are doing amazing.
hydroid

Post by hydroid »

I got some Hirose instead of the Oldhamii, after recommendations from "Booforyou" in Pensacola Fl. Said Hirose was slightly more cold hardy than the Oldhamii. I've had it for maybe 3 or 4 years and last year I thought it was dead as there were hardly any signs of life and this year there must be 3 or 4 stalks about 1/2" dia. and maybe 10 ft. high. But my Kanapaha is finally looking nice and has some about 2.5" dia. I am in zone 8b-9a.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Oldhamii in a pot here recently went through 29F with no apparent damage, including the shoots about 3-5 feet tall. Much taller ventricosa shoots appear to be bent over at the top on a couple but not all. The freeze lasted perhaps 6 hours.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I have 2 Bambusa textilis Kanapaha one planted and one in a pot here. They are doing well.
we have had freezes in the low to mid 20's and few times this year.
maybe a good option for you
i will try Oldhamii again here as well
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

I was told watering helps to weather the freezing temperatures. I forgot to ask if you should water all night or just in the morning. Anyone know anything about this technique?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Ophiuchus wrote:I was told watering helps to weather the freezing temperatures. I forgot to ask if you should water all night or just in the morning. Anyone know anything about this technique?
It is useful to make sure bamboos are well watered BEFORE a freeze. It seems to reduce cold related stress.

Citrus growers sometimes irrigate their plants all night during a freeze, and this can reduce freeze damage to plant tissues. I do not know if this would work on bamboos, but I would be worried about ice accumulation. Read this for detailed information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch182
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

Glen wrote:
Ophiuchus wrote:I was told watering helps to weather the freezing temperatures. I forgot to ask if you should water all night or just in the morning. Anyone know anything about this technique?
It is useful to make sure bamboos are well watered BEFORE a freeze. It seems to reduce cold related stress.

Citrus growers sometimes irrigate their plants all night during a freeze, and this can reduce freeze damage to plant tissues. I do not know if this would work on bamboos, but I would be worried about ice accumulation. Read this for detailed information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch182
Looks like a lot of opinions. Thanks for your input.