Wetlands

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ophiuchus
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Wetlands

Post by Ophiuchus »

I'm considering planting bamboo in declared wetlands. They lie along a creek that runs off water from outlying property causing seasonal flooding. There are different elevations that will certainly accommodate healthy growth, I was just wondering how close to the creek I can plant for the clumping bamboo to survive.

Thanks in advance for any insight dealing with wetlands.
dependable

Re: Wetlands

Post by dependable »

As you indicate a choice of elevations, just plant it where it will not have "wet feet." Proximity to creek should not matter if elevation and drainage are sufficient.
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

dependable wrote:As you indicate a choice of elevations, just plant it where it will not have "wet feet." Proximity to creek should not matter if elevation and drainage are sufficient.
Once I get the land brush cut cleared I should be able to determine a flood line better. I do agree, keep the feet dry. I also want to see how long it takes to dry after the floods, we're in a major drought now.

So your opinion/experience is the clumpers won't tolerate standing water for any length of time?

Thanks
Glen

Post by Glen »

I have planted Bambusa plants of quite a few species in areas where they have been in standing water for days on end. Some of them are in heavy clay soil.

None of the plants have died, and most of them seemed to have enjoyed the flooding, responding with vigorous growth.

I live in a warm climate, and I fertilize well. Also, I plant tropical bamboos when they will have a decent amount of warm weather to get established before winter.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Ophiuchus wrote:So your opinion/experience is the clumpers won't tolerate standing water for any length of time?
My experience with "clumpers" is limited to Fargesas, which do not like wet feet. Where you live you have more choices. Probably some tropicals are more tolerant of being wet.