Bamboo in marshy conditions?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

LA Bamboo
Location info: 0

Bamboo in marshy conditions?

Post by LA Bamboo »

One corner of my property holds 1-6" of water 6 months out of the year in zone 9a. I read that Phyllostachys heteroclauda can handle wet feet, but can it take months of being submerged? Is there a clumping bamboo that can handle the water?

I've got about 100' of fence line that I'd like to screen with water-hardy plants to block a neighboring 2-story house. Any advice on plant options (bamboo or otherwise) would be appreciated.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo in marshy conditions?

Post by needmore »

Personally I don't think any bamboo would be happy in those conditions. I've collected A gigantea from stream banks where surely it floods but flood waters do not stay for months.

Bald cypress comes to mind but it is deciduous so not a good winter screen. Willows evergreen in your area?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

you might try Dawn redwood. Very nice tree, grows very fast 5-8 feet per year, and loves wet feet. Also you may cut it at any time, it doesn't care, you can make a wall and prune it every 3 months...
LA Bamboo

Post by LA Bamboo »

NM, I think you hit it on the head with willows. Plenty of large weeping willows in the area, but I've never seen or heard of them used as a fence/hedge. The pics I looked up on the net look perfect, so I'm guessing some willow hybrids will suit the area. I'll plant a few test trees to see how they hold up for a year.

Vin, those trees are beautiful but looks like I'm just out of their preferred zone.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Willows should work fine.
Just whatever you do, dont use cattails in such a location. They will take over.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
LA Bamboo

Post by LA Bamboo »

I bought 50 hybrid willow cuttings off ebay and finished clearing the fence line. Should be the easiest planting I've ever done...pushing sticks into the mud.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have had issues wit cattails, they did grow fine, but eventually voles took care of them and there are only a couple left growing. Last few years, some sort of worms attacked them and I have a strong feeling that they will soon perish. Willows, however, are doing great.