QUESTIONS ABOUT MY BAMBOO SEEDS

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ren_Kagome
Location info: 0

QUESTIONS ABOUT MY BAMBOO SEEDS

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Sup' guys, it's me again. I know, I don't visit this place very often, but I do when I have a question or few about bamboo.
So, I bought like 130 bamboo seeds. 80 of 'em should be somekind of a golden or yellow bamboo and the other 50 is Moso. (though I'm sure they are both Moso because, the seeds look exactly the same.) I'm planting 80 seeds right now and leave the other 50 for the spring.
My questions are: Will it kill the seeds if I soak 'em in too cold water? the water isn't like very cold but since my room is cold, the water got cold too. And can I soak them in normal water or does it HAVE to be Chlorinated water? Will the other 50 seeds still be viable in spring? or should I plant them right now aswell?

Thanks in advance.
Tarzanus

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT MY BAMBOO SEEDS

Post by Tarzanus »

You can soak them in cold water, no problems. It should not harm them if it's chlorinated, but it might be better to use rain water or tap water that was exposed to air for a couple of hours. Chlorine goes out in a few hours that way.
It's essential to plant them as soon as possible, because bamboo looses viability quite fast, especially Moso. You can wait a few months, but keep them in the fridge.
cole

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT MY BAMBOO SEEDS

Post by cole »

I always get rid of chlorine before sprouting any kind of seeds, or before topping off my fish and turtle tanks. Simply fill gallon jugs and leave the tops off. It helps to put them in a sunny window, but it's not necessary. As Tarzanus says, chlorine readily evaporates. A gallon jug will be "clean" in 24 hours.

I sprout alfalfa, clover, and radish seeds for salads almost weekly. Chlorinated water kills yield by at least 20% in my experience.

BTW, soil completely neutralizes chlorine when watering an outdoor garden.