Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
wolfedg
Location info: 0

Re: Boo Shoots 2017

Post by wolfedg »

Alan_L wrote:
needmore wrote:
wolfedg wrote:The Atrovaginata took a pretty good hit its first winter but appears to be shaking it off quite well. The main plant has only about 10-15 green leaves left but its shooting 4 shoots(3 shown here as one is just barely through the mulch) that are about the same size as last years 2 so if they all succeed it will be an improvement. Not to mention I am hoping there are more shoots that havent made it through the mulch yet. Time will tell.
Do you have a solid ID on this one?
I was going to ask the same thing. This is much too early for atrovaginata to shoot, and the shoots are darker than that, at least on a more mature plant. I know you're farther south than me so maybe things are a little ahead of me, but atro shoots in early June for me if I remember correctly -- maybe May. Never before the aureosulcatas, that's for sure.
I am moving this particular discussion to its own thread so as to not derail the topic.
http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7438
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Moso shoots - there are many shoots this year, a lot of them upsized, especially on the east facing side of the grove.

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Tarzanus wrote:Moso shoots - there are many shoots this year, a lot of them upsized, especially on the east facing side of the grove.

Looks good, are those from a seedling growing up or a division?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It's 2011Seedling. I don't have Moso from division, just this one and another one, which never reached over 3 mm diameter.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Tarzanus wrote:It's 2011Seedling. I don't have Moso from division, just this one and another one, which never reached over 3 mm diameter.
So 6 years for a seedling to really start moving out of a juvenile stage?
needmore

Post by needmore »

aurita.JPG
Phy aurita, dark rings at the nodes are bands of still brown hairs

stimulosa.JPG
Phy stimulosa (?)

medlyJPG.jpg
med2.JPG

S3 & Prominens

med3.JPG
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

needmore wrote:
Tarzanus wrote:It's 2011Seedling. I don't have Moso from division, just this one and another one, which never reached over 3 mm diameter.
So 6 years for a seedling to really start moving out of a juvenile stage?
Last year, some of the shoots were already getting maturer, a bit smaller than this year (https://cold-hardy.com/moso-shooting-2016/).
I am cutting all the rhizomes once or twice a year that run out of approximately 3m x 2m large space. It almost exclusively runs into southern and eastern direction, so I remove the thickest rhizomes. The more juvenile shoots are still growing on the western side. Northern side doesn't matter really, shoot size (maturity) differs mainly in east - west position. When shoots start appearing, they appear first on the south exposed position which warms up sooner and often stop shooting before the north even wakes up.

Also, I kept the original plant in the pot. Original pot is still placed in the soil - the whole grove is a result of one tiny escaping runner during year 2. Anything inside the pot dies off during our winters though, above ground. Large culms are getting much hardier.

If I would do more to boost the seedling (If I would know what to do or even better for Moso, what not to do!) during first season, if I'd plant it into soil without it's container and without rhizome pruning, it would be faster. I guess it would take at least a year (or rather two years) less to get it into it's current state.

here's a photo of pruning this spring. I just saw I have missed at least two large rhizomes and now see shoots emerging in the lawn. I have checked the rhizomes now, and both have been detached from grove already, I guess I'll just cut anything that grows in my lawn, that should be enough without digging.
crappy photo from crappy mobile phone
crappy photo from crappy mobile phone
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

You could possibly turn those rhizomes upwards and get them to stop traveling during the summer which may be better than in the early spring since not much energy will be transferred to the rhizomes yet.

A few of my bamboos have started shooting including propinqua beijing, dulcis, nigra, shanghai III, bicolor, but not the parvifolia yet.

The bicolor only has 2 shoots which just emerged today as it is the 2nd day in a row with a high of 86F, and I expect there to be a few more since moso usually doesn't put them all out at once. Based on their size, I think it's possible for them to make it up to 7ft, and should definitely be taller than last year's.

A lot of foliage dropped after it was untarped likely due to being under low light for so long, and some cold air getting in there, but they still look OK. Not as good as the parvifolia which looks great after the fried leaves dropped leaving many green leaves.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I was back in upstate NY last weekend, and did get plenty of nice pictures of shoots. Although the atro, and parvifolia only have pioneer shoots which generally aren't the largest, I do have a nice upsize on the shanghai III.

Shanghai III: I counted 27 shoots that look like they should make it which is pretty crazy given the upsize. The biggest culm is around 1.15 inch, and there are a few 1inch and up.

Bicolor: The shoots did grow quite a bit in 2 days, the tallest one going from 2.5ft up to near 4ft, likely ending up around 7ft based on it's diameter. There are 2, and possibly 1 more gathered around 1 culm, and then a small culm next to the other culm hardly and bigger than that culm from last year.

Green moso: Nothing special

Propinqua Beijing: This one flowered last year, but this year, it surprising produced the largest shoots I've ever seen from it, up to an inch in diameter, and clearly passing up the old culms from last year in height. Looks like it just wants to go all out this year.

Parvifolia: It looks like the ones I've seen so far have been generally an inch or a bit more, but it's still only pioneer shoots so I don't know if I'll get any massive ones yet, but the potential is there.

Atrovaginata: Some shoots are up to 1.2 inches in diameter near the base, but it is really had to tell right now if I will get any enormous ones because it's really slow to shoot this year. Only a few have emerged on the south side of the grove.

Decora: Not a lot of shoots, and the ones that are emerging look about the same size as last year's.

Makinoi: the shoots look a bit bigger than the existing ones.

Nigra: Culms have downsized, but there are way too many of them. At least a lot of the damaged culms are still leafing back out.

Dulcis: Looks like culms are the same size or small which is understandable since it got mostly top killed which was surprising since it wasn't this cold sensitive in the past. I guess it's due to no watering in the summer, and hot temperatures all of last summer.

Vivax aureocaulus huangwenzhu inversa: kind of disappointing

The neighbor's fargesia rufa has gotten over 7ft this year after many years hanging around the 3-5ft range. It was quite surprising, but I guess it may be able to get even taller.

One thing I've found is that a neighbor appears to be having a lot of success by growing with large stones, and chicken manure on both nigra, and parvifolia. These have both started to push shoots breaking the 1 inch mark on their 5th growing season, and it looks like most of the biggest shoots emerge near the rocks that are on the perimeter of each grove. I believe the rocks, and decomposition of the manure keeps the grove warmer through the winter.

Nigra
Parvifolia

Image[/img]
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

It's been a good year for a friend's Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis', seems to be shooting earlier than normal for the coast. No new leaves yet.

john - +10c & chilly
Attachments
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' IMG-20170529-13537.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' IMG-20170529-13540.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' IMG-20170529-13541.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

first shoots scattered round the perimeter

Jiuzhaigou 1
Attachments
06.08.17 09.41 AM.jpg
"memory is the future of the past"
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The propinqua Beijing is the 2nd most impressive bamboo behind shanghaii III which literally exploded as shown in the previous pictures. Propinqua is over 15ft tall now with some 1 inch culms which are leafed out, but not showing signs of flowering yet so it looks like it may be on a recovery. It looks like it basically gave up on recovering old culms, and pushed all of it's energy into this year's new shoots.

There are 2 9ft shoots on the bicolor which should be the main source of energy for this bamboo this year as the other shoot, and last year's culms are pretty small in comparison, but if we get ample rain, and not too hot, rhizomes should run out a lot farther than they did last season. The old culms are pretty much unscathed so it can be possible for the following year's shooting season to be 4x as impressive with some shoots getting a bit farther. They are predicting regular rainfall, about 1x or 2x a week, and this bamboo is well mulched so I would expect rhizomes to get a couple of meters long given their growing window is from August through early November.

Parvifolia is not producing a whole lot of shoots again, but I guess it must be a combination of having too many culms that exist packed together already, lack of fertilization for a good number of years, about 50% leaf burn through the winter, divisions taken last year and this year and kind of a drought with high temperatures last summer. At least some of the shoots are still over 1 inch in diameter, and just about all the culms except the ones still around from 2014 or older are leafing back out.

Atrovaginata keeps trying to grow more and more to the south side. There aren't a lot of shoots, but some of them are pretty big, up to 1.3 inches in diameter, and like the parvifolia, it looks like having too many culms packed close together makes it tough for more shoots to emerge out of the middle.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hi,

some pictures from last week.
Going towards the back starting from the ensete maurelii the bamboos are shanghai 3, parvifolia, atrovaginata and aureocaulis.
Attachments
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The next set of pictures are shoots from hibanobambusa t. shiroshima, vivax aureocaulis and atrovaginata
Attachments
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG