Bamboo Rehab?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

steve-in-kville
Location info: 0

Bamboo Rehab?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I need some feedback, guys. My Rufa will be in the ground 5 years this coming spring. They were started from a few plants in 1-gallon pots. They shoot every spring, but they will not get any taller than 2'. The bed they are in is pretty lousy and I am thinking I may move them to a well fertilized garden bed come spring and install some drip irrigation, at least in an attempt to get some growth out of them.

Is this a sound plan, or am I being impatient?
Regards,

steve-in-kville
dependable

Re: Bamboo Rehab?

Post by dependable »

More fertilization, either by fertilizing in place or moving to more fertile soil, plus providing for regular watering, will likely help speed things up. If you are not careful, transplanting can set plants back, as much of their momentum is in the volume and distribution of their root system

My first rufra grew pretty slowly for the first several years, then jumped up in height. Other than being planted well with amendments, it is in a so so forest soil, and only got supplemental water for the first couple of years, and an occasional splash of wood ash. It is now about 7 ft tall and at least as wide.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Maybe is you plant from laboratory. If you bought it with label Green Panda, it is TC plant. Many of them have problems. Solution is only change them for regurarly divided plants.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
dependable

Post by dependable »

The plant I mentioned was a 'Green panda' probably have had it for around 10 years, bought from commercial nursery.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

F. dracocephala Rufa is very vigorous plant, so i think, if they grow slowly in first years, it could be cause by TC culture. I dont have rufa from TC, but i had F. murieliae Jumbo in the ground.

TC plant F. murieliae Jumbo - 9 years old plant

For comparation TC Jumbo plant 9 years old down left, young plant down right, Jumbo ordinary divided 7 years old plant in the back

You can see, plant from TC is not able to grow in normal outside conditions in my garden. I threw it away.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
steve-in-kville

Post by steve-in-kville »

All my plants came from a commercial nursery in Oregon.

I didn't realize how lousy the soil was in this bed until this past spring... I think I'm gonna transplant early this year and hope for the best. Plan to install some type of irrigation, exactly how is still up in the air.

Thanks for the replies.
Regards,

steve-in-kville