Growing from rhizome

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Growing from rhizome

Post by Deane »

I have found a bamboo grower in Portugal selling rhizomes with a great list of plants : Hi, We can get you the following species: Some...

eBay
New message from: mushroomvalley (16Yellow Star)
Hi,

We can get you the following species:
Some we already shooting so we can not enter in the field. We have to wait 2 weeks more.
ARUNDINARIA ANCEPS
ARUNDINARIA KUNISHII
BAMBUSA MULTIPLEX
BAMBUSA MULTIPLEX 'ALPHONSE KARR'
BAMBUSA MULTIPLEX 'ELEGANS'
BAMBUSA MULTIPLEX 'GOLDEN GODDESS'
BAMBUSA OLDHAMII
BAMBUSA TEXTILIS
BAMBUSA VENTRICOSA
BAMBUSA VENTRICOSA KIMMEI
BAMBUSA VULGARIS 'STRIATA'
BRACHYSTACHYUM DENSIFLORUM
CHIMONOBAMBUSA MARMOREA
CHIMONOBAMBUSA MARMOREA VARIEGATA
CHIMONOBAMBUSA QUADRANGULARIS
CHIMONOBAMBUSA QUADRANGULARIS TATEJIMA
CHIMONOBAMBUSA TUMIDISSINODA
FARGESIA JIUZHAIGOU SP
FARGESIA NITIDA
FARGESIA ROBUSTA
FARGESIA RUFA
HIBANOBAMBUSA TRANQUILLANS
HIBANOBAMBUSA TRANQUILLANS 'SHIROSHIMA'
HIMALAYACALAMUS ASPER
OPHIOPOGON Japonicum
OPHIOPOGON NANA
OTATEA ACUMINATA
PHYLLOSTACHYS ARCANA 'LUTEOSULCATA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA 'FLAVESCENS INVERSA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA 'HOLOCHRYSA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA 'KOI'
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREO. SPECTABILIS
PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREOSULCATA AUREOCAULIS
PHYLLOSTACHYS B. 'CASTILLONI INVERSA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS BAMBUSOIDES
PHYLLOSTACHYS BAMBUSOIDES 'CASTILLONIS'
PHYLLOSTACHYS BAMBUSOIDES 'HOLOCHRYSA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS BAMBUSOIDES TANAKAE
PHYLLOSTACHYS BISSETII
PHYLLOSTACHYS DULCIS
PHYLLOSTACHYS FLEXUOSA
PHYLLOSTACHYS GLAUCA
PHYLLOSTACHYS HETEROCLADA
PHYLLOSTACHYS HUMILIS
PHYLLOSTACHYS MANII
PHYLLOSTACHYS MEYERI
PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA
PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA 'BORYANA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS NIGRA 'HENONIS'
PHYLLOSTACHYS NUDA
PHYLLOSTACHYS NUDA 'LOCALIS'
PHYLLOSTACHYS PUBESCENS
PHYLLOSTACHYS PUBESCENS BICOLOR
PHYLLOSTACHYS RUBROMARGINATA
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIOLASCENS
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIRIDIGLAUCESCENS
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIRIDIS
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIRIDIS 'SULFUREA'
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIVAX
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIVAX 'AUREOCAULIS'
PHYLLOSTACHYS VIVAX 'HUANVENZHU'
PLEIOBLASTUS CHINO 'ELEGANTISSIMUS'
PLEIOBLASTUS DISTICHUS
PLEIOBLASTUS FORTUNEI 'VARIEGATA'
PLEIOBLASTUS GRAMINEUS
PLEIOBLASTUS HINDSII
PLEIOBLASTUS LINEARIS
PLEIOBLASTUS PUMILUS
Is it possible to grow them from rhizomes and what best way
Tarzanus

Re: Growing from rhizome

Post by Tarzanus »

Some are clumpers, they also have rhizomes and can be propagated using them. I would rather take a division with at least a couple of culms. Rhizome division can take a bit longer to get going. When they start shooting, they get exhausted quickly and will likely fail. I would think twice before buying, he has quite a collection, though...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'd trade with caution because some of the boos on the list such as the edulis bicolor are not that easy to come by and usually sell for a premium.
By the way the positive reviews of this seller are all over mushroom spawn and not bamboo rhizomes.

Other than that, if you do decide to order something keep us updated how it worked out.

all the best,

Nicholas
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks guys I have ordered 2 that I am finding hard to find in uk to give a try ,PHYLLOSTACHYS ARCANA 'LUTEOSULCATA' and PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA 'KOI' there is others on list I want like the bi colour but I will see how these get on first ,I will keep thread updated
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Beware! Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' is flowering at the moment. Phyllos are known to often survive flowering, but for young groves that are not yet well established, flowering brings certain death. If he already has new generation seedling from the flowering Bamboo, it almost certainly lacks P. arcanca 'Luteosulcata' features.

I know about it, because I am growing quite a few of it's seedlings. They are vigorous and seem to be resilient to a lot of shitty conditions I've managed to offer them. I wrote about them constantly for a year now. :D

If it's still time, ask him about the Luteosulcata or pick different bamboo. Hope you have time to change the order.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Tarzanus wrote:Beware! Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' is flowering at the moment. Phyllos are known to often survive flowering, but for young groves that are not yet well established, flowering brings certain death. If he already has new generation seedling from the flowering Bamboo, it almost certainly lacks P. arcanca 'Luteosulcata' features.

I know about it, because I am growing quite a few of it's seedlings. They are vigorous and seem to be resilient to a lot of shitty conditions I've managed to offer them. I wrote about them constantly for a year now. :D

If it's still time, ask him about the Luteosulcata or pick different bamboo. Hope you have time to change the order.
Thanks not ordered yet so will change luteosulcata for a different one
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

With your climate you should definitely go for the moso bicolor. If it's trully for real then that's a must have bamboo.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Not sure about UK weather and Moso... Moso likes warm summers and not too cold winters. I'm sure about the second, but not really about the summer warmth. If you get a lot of sun during summer, then you definitely should try it.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Tarzanus wrote:Not sure about UK weather and Moso... Moso likes warm summers and not too cold winters. I'm sure about the second, but not really about the summer warmth. If you get a lot of sun during summer, then you definitely should try it.
Paul Whittaker's book Hardy Bamboos, Taming the Dragon has an article on page 150 about that very subject. Based on what he wrote it sounds like it can size up in places in the south of the U.K. after about 25 years (he mentions the city of Cornwall), but other places, like the east it doesn't size up. In any case the aforementioned book is likely ideal for anyone researchign growing bamboo in the U.K. It is even somewhat useful to me here in the U.S.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Moso's are very very slow to get going. A good 5-6 hours a day of sun would be perfect for them but having cool weather all the time could definitely be a problem. I would say that sure bicolor isn't ideal to grow there but it should be tried and tested based on the mild winters deane has.

Yes expect 20+ years for good results but that is also the case here in the PNW.

Sure if you want fast results plant dulcis or vivax but if you want something that's rare and special grow moso's. They are in a league of there own hands down. Heck maybe just maybe it will do good for you and you'll have a beautiful bicolo grove in 20 years.

Moso's are like saving up for that nice Mercedes. Might take longer but it's better then Yaris lol.