Culm die back

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Culm die back

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I was out thinning a few different groves today around my yard. Phyllo Meyeri, glauca, p. Aureosulcata aureocaulis. I noticed that there was lots of culm die back. Some shot uo 6' and then aborted. Others shot up and the branches just failed to leaf out. It's strange to me. I know one can expect a few aborts but these groves are strong and have been there for awhile.

I fertilize, mulch, water, thin,

Last year was also a weak shooting year. Lots of downsizing and not many culms in some groves. We had a mild winter with -6.6c. D

Was it just a off year maybe. Was there not enough nutrients ( the leaves re healthy looking tho). Could it be I fertilized to much ? Small shoots and lots of them.

Anyways thanks for reading this. I'm just looking for information to learn more about bamboo. I love the stuff and it's great to learn about and watch grow.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Culm die back

Post by needmore »

[quote="Van-isle-bamboo"]I was out thinning a few different groves today around my yard. Phyllo Meyeri, glauca, p. Aureosulcata aureocaulis. I noticed that there was lots of culm die back. Some shot uo 6' and then aborted. Others shot up and the branches just failed to leaf out...

When did the dead culms initially appear? I assume that you've not had shoots reach 6' this year already?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Culm die back

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

No the shoots are from last year. Green below and then they turn to brown and dead.