Sunburn

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Sunburn

Post by needmore »

I had this Phy aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' shoot sort of sheltered in a shrub until it was around 6' tall, the whole thing was bright lite-yellow. Moved it to full exposure a week ago.

Here is the side now away from the sun
lite.JPG

Here is the sun side with no camera flash
dark.JPG

With flash
flash.JPG
medium.JPG

Even the remaining culm leaves are sunburned, the culm sections that had grown above the shrub did not darken so much
shoot.JPG
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Sunburn

Post by Alan_L »

Don't you wish there was a way to make that color permanent? So nice when it happens, but so temporary.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I had some yellow groove stick with the burgundy one time, not this much but stayed.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

They turn red even when they are 1 year old. I have some reddening on their lower nodes. I have yet to see what makes them red, it's strange that some years, they turn red readily at almost any amount of bright sunny days, while there are years when it can be sunny all the time and they color-up only slightly. I'm not sure what makes them prone to get more sunburn. Age of culms certainly plays a role, but there must be something else.

This year, culms (from last year) started coloring, but sadly, warm and sunny weather is gone for a while now (frost warnings agai :/). In a month or so, new shoots will be much more ready to get some color. It would be interesting to cut one year old culm that would get red. Would there be a way to get the pigment stay. I think in a geographic position a bit more to the south, with stronger sun could get some older culms to color-up.
dependable

Post by dependable »

I had some spectabilis come up with red/pink culms a few years ago. I think it was from the cold in that case. Those culms are now purplish. Last two years they came up normal yellow.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I think temperature is a key factor as well, I rarely had it happen in Indiana but here I have lots of it. Chill not frost, seems key.