Young P. Edulis worries

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bennaz0610
Location info: 0

Young P. Edulis worries

Post by bennaz0610 »

Was looking for this boo after my attempt from seed failed me, I risked a plant from Italy which was in hindsight suspiciously cheap from such a way.

I'm sure it's the real deal. My issue is the plant was clearly too young to be shipped several days via a bog standard mail service and has turned up mostly green, the dehydration has yellowed one leaf. Easy fix it potted it in quality compost and watered it well.

My issue is it has 3 stems. One that I assume was its first and is a skin to raggedy thing. Another which is clearly very young. And another which had snapped in 3 places. I have put some splints to support the snapped one but the top third of the stem is paper dry and clearly dead. Will this be an issue? Is there any more I can do? The plants been throughost a lot to get here and I don't want it to die.

Thanks,

Ben
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Young P. Edulis worries

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Ben,

Mist the plant daily and keep the soil moist but not to wet. Edulis can not do water loogged conditions. It will die. So if you have the time just mist the plant and keep it in some cooler conditions and not burning hot sun for now. Hope this helps.

What edulis did you get?

Kailey
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I would not worry. 3 culms are more than enough for it to restart. The more leaves it has, faster it will start growing. I guess it will soon start spreading runners and push out several survival whip-shoots. Keep those until it starts shooting normally the following season.

If leaves are not wilting, there's no need to mist them. I have had really bad results when I first started growing Phyllostachys edulis - Moso seedlings. I was way too worried for their health and when I saw first signs of wilting, I watered them, then they became even more dehydrated, I watered some more, and more, until i drowned most of them. They hate too much water. They actually prefer soil that is a bit more dry, especially while they are still inside a pot.

Until it gets established it should have at least some protection from the sun. When it establishes below ground, it will be able to replenish lost water more easily and will tolerate full sun much better.

MY advice would be, keep an eye on it, but don't think there's something wrong with it. It does best by itself. I wouldn't use any fertilizers for at least a few months, except perhaps some composted manure if you have it laying around.

Of all bamboos I've grown from seed, Moso was the biggest pain in the bottom. But the reward, when it finally takes off and you see large shoots, makes it worth all the hassle. I wrote about Moso a lot already. Both here on this forum and on my Blog. Good luck with your new Moso division!
bennaz0610

Post by bennaz0610 »

Thank you so much for your responses, I believe I had over watered it to begin with which made matters a bit worse but letting it air out in a warm but shaded area helped dry the little guy out a bit. I have begun Misting the few leaves it has left, a couple more dropped before this point, however, a new leaf is now unrolling and I'm very happy that a small amount of tlc has brought it round.

Not out of the woods as there are no signs of new Culms just yet but I think it's only a matter of time :D.

I do now believe it to be a P.Pubescens, an addition to my modest collection though to be sure :).

Thank you again.