Winter damage

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Fish Gary
Location info: 0

Winter damage

Post by Fish Gary »

Average winter but one night of minus 9 degrees did some damage to what I think is Phyllostachy which is about 3 years old. Smallest bamboo looks very brown but the larger has very green stalks with just a few green leaves that survived. Mostly in the center which I guess is more protected. Should I remove the small that really looks dead? And should I trim some brown branches from the larger bamboo? Also trim at ground level or a few inches high? New on the forum so still just learning!

dependable

Re: Winter damage

Post by dependable »

It looks like there are some new shoots coming up. I'd wait until they were up and toughened off a bit before I went in there to prune, new shoots are easy to damage at this stage. There is a chance that some of the damaged green culms will refoliate.

There is also the possibility the plant is able to scavenge some energy from the green, damaged culms.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The dead or half-dead culms will also add some support to the new culms so they might stay more upright. Then remove the dead stuff later this summer. Or do nothing until late next winter if the plant looks presentable once it leafs out.
Fish Gary

Post by Fish Gary »

Thanks for both the comments! Very helpful since I'm new on keeping bamboo!

Was checking for new culms in March with my hand and almost touched this speckled kingsnake! :shock: Harmless but wasn't expecting that! It was partially hidden in the smaller bamboo!
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Fish Gary wrote:... almost touched this speckled kingsnake! :shock: Harmless but wasn't expecting that! It was partially hidden in the smaller bamboo!
I wish there are such snakes in my backyard to help deal with my out of control mice problems. The mice have grown to like chewing on bamboos.