Chinese Cephalostachyum Pergracile seeds the real deal?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bennaz0610
Location info: 0

Chinese Cephalostachyum Pergracile seeds the real deal?

Post by bennaz0610 »

I ordered some in and they arrived last week and half are in a propagator waiting to germinate.

My issue is that having ordered a number of other types since I noticed that the seeds looked exactly the same as the Phyllostachys Pubescens seeds i ordered from a German seller.

Is this right? Has anyone grown C.Pergracile from seed? Did they look the same as Moso?

Thanks,

Ben
bennaz0610
Location info: 0

Re: Chinese Cephalostachyum Pergracile seeds the real deal?

Post by bennaz0610 »

So, having researches further I found this blog http://bambooseeds.blogspot.co.uk.

This blogger seems to order in seeds from various sources in East Asia and 'puts to them to the test'. Having seen he had germinated C.Pergracile more than once and correlating his images against the seeds I own I summise thet are indeed "fake". Not that they aren't seeds but they definitely belong to a Phylostachys. Evidently he has on a few occasions himself received seed from China which he believes (the proof is in the pudding and I don't think he updated that far) are most often of the P.Edulis variety...

This ties into my other post on seed sources, but I thought I'd introduce the blog here for people who haven't seen it as I think it could be useful.

All I can say is make sure you check your seed sources, and I wouldn't risk Chinese seed unless you want a spreading bamboo taking over your garden!