Need advise on building "secret bamboo garden"

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

Need advise on building "secret bamboo garden"

Post by Gerryo619 »

I need advise on how to prep an area in my yard that I would like to create into a secret bamboo garden. The area is tucked away on the side of my house and is past an area that is currently being created into a gardening area. Concrete pathways have already been poured and will be filled with gravel on the sides and DG in the center to create actual pathway. I want to plant bamboo all along the fence that leads to future bamboo area. Once in the area I'd like to have bamboo all along the sides of the exterior wall and along the fence so an area in the center can be surrounded by bamboos and maybe have a small table with 4 chairs in the center (hopefully I'm explaining my vision clear enough). I have moderate experience with clumping bamboo and I'd like to stay with clumpers for the most part. I guess my questions/concerns are mainly drainage. I just had two drains installed in that area (not sure if you can see tops of black pipes in the pics), but I am concerned with moisture against my foundation. I also plan to divide the "bamboo area" from the actual center if that makes sense with either some type of bender-board or some type of concrete or mansonry. I am even considering installing an actual bamboo barrier although I don't plan on planting runners. I am still not sure if I want to go with the DG or gravel in the center. I am sure I am forgetting to ask certain questions I wanted to but I figure I'd at least get the discussion going. Any thoughts, questions, or advise will greatly be appreciated. Now let me see if I can figure out how to post these pics...
Gerryo619

Re: Need advise on building "secret bamboo garden"

Post by Gerryo619 »

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Looks like it will be a great area once planted! Is your main question about moisture? You said a lot but I'm not sure what you're asking. :)
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Alan_L wrote:Looks like it will be a great area once planted! Is your main question about moisture? You said a lot but I'm not sure what you're asking. :)
I know this always happens! :D
One of my main questions/concerns is what type (if any), of moisture barrier should I use against wall/foundation.
Also what should I use to divide bamboo area with center area.
Any suggestions or thoughts in general. Maybe what type of bamboos I should go with or how many different varieties I should use.
I plan on using Mexican Weeping along the fence before entering actual area, maybe creating an arch with two mexican weeping to act as an entrance to the area. Along the fence inside the actual area I'd like to use something taller, maybe giant timber since I want it to block neighbors ugly roof. Again any thoughts and suggestions in general will be greatly appreciated.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I don't see why a moisture barrier would be needed, but I'm not up on building practices in your area. Yes you will probably be watering some, but it's not like you're going to keep it sopping wet all the time.

For types to plant I'll have to defer to others in a climate similar to yours -- that's not me. :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

One thing to consider is after you get the bamboo is established there will be dropping leaves .... a lot of leaves - In my garden they supply all the mulch I've needed for the past several years - Also had to screen off my gutters as they would clog up regularity - An unexpected benefit was I got lucky and the bamboo ended being situated just right to block the morning sun and the nasty Florida afternoon sun - I get sun from about 10:00am until 3:00pm which is enough to keep my garden thriving but is so comfortable for outside breakfast or dinner

Last point make sure you aren't going to create a hassle for your neighbors - The leaf drop and bending "wild hairs" of taller bamboo can aggravate folks

All that said it is so worth it when
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Here’s how it looks about one year later. Everything except Vulgaris shooting like crazy. So far so good
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Looks great, I think you'll have a very solid foliage walkway in 2 years, what are some of the species in there - in particular, the very open one with few lower branches?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Thank you! I think you may be referring to my Blue Chungii. The one with the concrete divider to left of it? I have a lot of new shoots already but will probably wait until after the summer to start legging and manicuring the grove.
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

Looks great! My only concern would be what type of bamboo is growing up against the house? New shoots can shoot up into the eaves of the house causing damage and allowing bugs a way in . I would recommend something smaller or something you can hedge.
Mike, Jax Florida Zone 9a
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The next to last image is the one. As for shoots getting into the eaves, my plan is to move them out from under as they emerge and keep branches trimmed as needed.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

BamBuddha wrote:Looks great! My only concern would be what type of bamboo is growing up against the house? New shoots can shoot up into the eaves of the house causing damage and allowing bugs a way in . I would recommend something smaller or something you can hedge.
Thanks for your comments. This is also a concern of mine which is why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. The ones on 3rd picture are two giant timber. The reason behind this was that I want the big culms to be visible from the inside of the house (two windows) especially after they have been nicely manicured. My plan was/is to top off any shoots that grow under the eaves of the house and "leg" bottom of culms. The culms that miss the eaves I would probably be topped at a max of 20'. The other ones under the eaves (5th photo) are alphonse karr so I am not too concerned about since those will probably be shown more as a hedge which I will top maybe one foot under the eaves.
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

needmore wrote:The next to last image is the one. As for shoots getting into the eaves, my plan is to move them out from under as they emerge and keep branches trimmed as needed.
Yes, Bambusa Chungii. I have a similar plan to what you mentioned. Although I do have some concern about leaf-drop into neighbor's yard from big guys along fence.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Sounds like free mulch to me... 8) (neighbor will not see it that way...lol)

Looks awesome, wish I had the space currently.
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

UPBooMatt wrote:Sounds like free mulch to me... 8) (neighbor will not see it that way...lol)

Looks awesome, wish I had the space currently.
Haha! Right! We'll see how it goes. His pomegranate tree drops all kinds of leaves on my side anyway!