Clumping Black Bamboo in subtropical area

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

BamBuddha
Location info: 0

Re: Clumping Black Bamboo in subtropical area

Post by BamBuddha »

Yes I would be interested in the Nana as soon as you do have them available . How did they make out this winter?
Mike, Jax Florida Zone 9a
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

BamBuddha wrote:Just an Update. I gave up on the black clumping bamboo after talking to many experienced growers and the feed back here. I have added to my current collection this year by purchasing 2 newly released bamboos from tropical bamboo. Bambusa tuldoides cv 'Swollen Internode (Cool Buddha) Its similar to the Wamin staying relatively small and keeping its bellies but able to handle northern Florida's cooler temps . The other is Dendro Bambusoides which has a smoky gray culm similar to P henon. This one didn't have a temp rating so I will be testing it. I attached some pictures of the mature species at tropical bamboo
I weathered my Cool Buddha through the winter. I had 4 small culms and lost one. I just put it in the ground a week ago and I can't wait to watch it grow.
Adam A

Post by Adam A »

That cool buddy looks really good. It looks like tropical bamboo has Nana for reasonable price. Not sure if same exact same as Sherry’s. I have to think it was a rough January for everyone’s bamboo in our zone. How did you guys fair?
Adam A

Post by Adam A »

Anyone growing sunburst with luck in our zone? Looking for visually striking yellow boo.
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

Adam A wrote:Anyone growing sunburst with luck in our zone? Looking for visually striking yellow boo.
I am in Zone 9A and my Sunburst did fantastic.
Mike, Jax Florida Zone 9a