Gopher advice?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Gopher advice?

Post by Alan_L »

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure it means that you'll find an even better place, the one meant for you. (with fewer gophers)
mountainbamboonut
Location info: 0

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Brad, ironically I think you have given me a solution to the gopher problem already. When you suggested that I plant in large mounds on the back part of my acreage which is lava cap/surface of the moon crappola, I noticed that it has also kept the gophers from getting up the mounds and eating my boo. Not that they couldn't dig up into the mounds but they don't for some reason, just go around them. There are gopher tunnels all over there (I have no idea how they can dig through the 6'' of hard topsoil--god bless them) but none have damaged the boos. Also my old neighbor with something like 500 varieties of bamboos had gopher tunnels everywhere and they never seemed to damage boos and he swore the same thing. My dog ( and akita) loves caving in tunnels and hunting voles and gophers. I too live on a small mountainous freeway (Set way back but a freeway nonetheless) and I'm all fenced so the akita is safe. Good luck on the property, sounds awesome and would be great to see what you can do with boo's there. Or, just wait till this fat real estate bubble pops first ;) If you want to go with the nuclear option I have had success capping holes and then flooding them with hoses, they normally pop up somewhere and the dog gets them or they drown. Sorry if that offends anyone but my bamboos have a right to live also--such is the cycle of life--things must die so others may live. I don't relish it though, I hate killing things.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Brad , you can cage them but use smaller 1/2" poultry wire or hardware cloth. If it's too big they will get through. I was going down about a foot and a half and leaving 6" up at my other place. If you mound it I'd put it on the bottom with a lip on each side at least a few inches up. If your in property a few barn cats will greatly help to
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If I end up in a place anywhere near as gopher ridden as this last possibility I will go with mounds and some wire. A place with no outward signs I may skip the wire but I like the mounds in any situation.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markz

Post by Markz »

Varmitgetter! Check out their videos.