Installing bamboo barrier

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bamboo_bob
Location info: 0

Installing bamboo barrier

Post by bamboo_bob »

Im planning on planting bamboo on one side of my yard. This side of my yard is also a source of drainage which leads to my yard flooding. To deal with this, I'm going to install a trench with perforated pipe at the bottom and filled to the surface with crushed stone. The pipe will drain downhill to daylight and away from my house. I figure it might be good to combine the two jobs of installing the rhizome barrier and the trench drain. So dig the trench, put the HDPE on one side, put the pipe in, and fill back up with stone instead of soil. The barrier will have an added benefit of stopping water from entering my yard and instead going into the drain. Does anybody have experience with something like this and do you think it would reduce the effectiveness of the rhizome barrier if it is back filled with stone instead of soil?

By the way, I'm going to be planting rubromarginetta. Do you think 24" 60 mil barrier will be sufficient for this breed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Installing bamboo barrier

Post by dependable »

The stone instead of soil with the barrier should not affect it, or it might make it more effective.

24 inches might work if the soil is not good or is too wet at that depth, it will certainly slow the rhizomes down. If the soil or subsoil is loose, friable and dry at 24 inches, 30 inches might be a better choice. If sub soil is saturated or hard pan at 24 inches, then 24 inches depth should work.