Seaweed as fertiliser

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Seaweed as fertiliser

Post by Deane »

After doing a seaweed run today, it got me thinking about seaweed as a fertiliser for my bamboos, I have always been put off after reading Michael Bells book which he said "most bamboos detest seaweed as a manure, probably because of their sensitivity to salt and it is best to avoid compounds derived from seaweed as well. Some are so sensitive to fresh or even composted seaweed that it has even been recommended that it is used for restricting he spread of rampant species" what's people's thoughts and what's the difference between seaweed meal,calcified and liquid
Attachments
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
dependable

Re: Seaweed as fertiliser

Post by dependable »

I've always thought the seaweed fertilizer preparations are expensive for what one gets, plant nutrient wise. As for actual seaweed, it is a fine soil amendment anywhere, in my opinion, as long as it has sat out in the rain long enough to have lost most of its salt content. This is not bamboo specific, excess sodium is considered a "non-beneficial" for most plants' nutrient uptake and soil chemistry.

Back when I had time, I used to gather a couple truckloads for my garden in the fall, and add to my garden the next spring.
Deane

Re: Seaweed as fertiliser

Post by Deane »

I think your right from the research I have done, I have added it to the compost heap now which I have found speeds up the compost compass heap considerably