Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Cost and variety of bamboo sales in my region

Post by fredgpops »

I've been selling around 100 plants each year to help cover my new landscaping, upkeep of existing plants, and adding new plants. I price my stock at 35 to 45% of local retail and sell primarily on Craigs list. This year was interesting. Fewer collectors, more small guys like me selling the same species, and most buyers interested in large plants 30ft and above. I used to have the advantage, 1) unique stock, 2) lowest price, 3) best marketing techniques. All of that went down the drain this year. Part of the problem has been an anti-bamboo message by nurseries but also, from my perspective, more unique and interesting (non-bamboo) species being introduced. I spent much more money this year on interesting (non-bamboo) plants from Australia and New Zealand. These plants are drought resistant and deer proof and quite beautiful. Also folks that I used to get new and interesting bamboo are throwing in the towel. Could be a local phenomenon but .......... Rgds
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Cost and variety of bamboo sales in my region

Post by Cooper12 »

I think part of it locally in California is we are still dealing with all the drought talk even know last year was ultra wet and really even the year before was not to bad up here in the foothills we had over 90" last winter and close to 60" year before and average is about 50".

nursery trends in landscaping seem to take a few years to implement. selling to contractors many designs where drawn a few years back during the drought. Alot of those cool drought tolerants also can not handle excessive water.
Though many people don't realize some bamboo can be pretty drought tolerant once established. I think there are many great species of clumpers that thrive where you are and in the bay area. Up here people use runners for screening . Not as many clumpers like it here with the hot summers and cold winters though i am trying as many as possible. Of course the shade helps .
My Rufa has been great in the summer until this year. too many hot days and its showing it where my ruff in pots in the shade is looking great.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

I'd say I've seen the same thing in my region, Sierra Nevada foothills near Cooper. I used to never see bamboo for sale on C-list now I always see it and for super cheap. In fact Cooper are you the guy selling those $30 15 gallons in Placerville? Ha, I wondered if that was you when I saw the ad. Anyhow that was a good point about the ''drought'' talk (even though our places were soaked with biblical rains all last year.) That could be it. Or the invasiveness chatter could be a causal factor as well. I have definitely noticed way more people selling 'backyard' bamboo for very cheap. I've actually bought a fair amount that way last year which is fun too though. It is not all bad I suppose. Depends what side of the supply chain you're on though. Much like all of our neighbors (if you live in the foothills) that grow and sell 'medical' cannabis for profit by having it trafficked out of state.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Yesterday on-line I saw 300,400, 600 & 1,000 gallon fabric grow bags. The 1,000 was $100 the others < $40 each. I think that is the way to go bamboo, at least for me out here. One of them was 6' diameter if not 7', I think I can grow mature size bamboo in that footprint and I suspect it will be easier to keep hydrated. I would eventually build mulch encirclements around & on top of the bags thus making nice mounds so when the bags erode away not a problem. Might be more gopher unfriendly as well. Containment would be easy and if I'm right about this there might be a new way to market growing runners.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

mountainbamboonut wrote:I'd say I've seen the same thing in my region, Sierra Nevada foothills near Cooper. I used to never see bamboo for sale on C-list now I always see it and for super cheap. In fact Cooper are you the guy selling those $30 15 gallons in Placerville? Ha, I wondered if that was you when I saw the ad. Anyhow that was a good point about the ''drought'' talk (even though our places were soaked with biblical rains all last year.) That could be it. Or the invasiveness chatter could be a causal factor as well. I have definitely noticed way more people selling 'backyard' bamboo for very cheap. I've actually bought a fair amount that way last year which is fun too though. It is not all bad I suppose. Depends what side of the supply chain you're on though. Much like all of our neighbors (if you live in the foothills) that grow and sell 'medical' cannabis for profit by having it trafficked out of state.
Nope was not me but I should see what they got haha
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country