What's going on with this bamboo?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

I_am_Ian
Location info: 0

What's going on with this bamboo?

Post by I_am_Ian »

This Bambusa dolichomerithalla cv. 'Blue' has been in the ground since last fall but didn't send any shoots up this summer. There is only one culm and it seems to be split down the middle but the plant seems to be growing some branches and leaves just fine.

Today I noticed this oddly shaped branch that looks more like an above ground culm attempting to shoot. Any idea what is happening and why I got no shoots this year?
Attachments
image1.JPG
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: What's going on with this bamboo?

Post by needmore »

I_am_Ian wrote:This Bambusa dolichomerithalla cv. 'Blue' has been in the ground since last fall but didn't send any shoots up this summer. There is only one culm and it seems to be split down the middle but the plant seems to be growing some branches and leaves just fine.

Today I noticed this oddly shaped branch that looks more like an above ground culm attempting to shoot. Any idea what is happening and why I got no shoots this year?
Interesting, I might be tempted to dump soil up to above the point where that branch bud is emerged and see if it roots.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

What you are seeing is the plant's attempt to create a rhizome from above ground buds. This is what happens below ground when you successfully root cuttings of tropical bamboos. The above-ground manifestation of this behavior is seen periodically among tropical bamboos, and I would consider it normal, but not common.

If it did not shoot this year, the plant may not have any viable buds below ground, or at least they may be weak or damaged. It might be producing this growth because that is all it can do. I would immediately mound soil around that culm, deep enough to cover that aerial rhizome with 3 or 4 inches of loose soil. Be careful not to break it, as it might be that plant's last chance at survival!

It looks like healthy growth, and I think that plant has a very good chance of recovering next year, as long as some critter does not damage that new growth.
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

Thanks both of you for the input. I have carefully piled up soil all around it. Hopefully i will get some blue shoots next year!
Glen

Post by Glen »

Once that plant starts to develop, please update us on its progress. There is not a lot of information out there on this new one.