Starting to plant

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Starting to plant

Post by needmore »

Just getting going on planting plants I've been container growing, some for more than 2 years, only about a quarter done but here are few photos. (click photo to enlarge a bit)

Dendrocalamus sp. Parker's Giant
dpark.JPG
Big branch bud
dparkbranch.JPG
Pl maculatus
plmacu.JPG
S tootsik - variegated form
toot.JPG
B ventricosa Kimmei
bventkim.JPG
B eutuldoides Viridivittata
betul.JPG
B textilis Gracilus
bgrac2JPG.jpg
B multiplex Alphonse Karr
bakarr1.JPG
bakarr3.JPG
B oldhamii
bold2JPG.jpg
bop.JPG
B multiplex Riverorium & I hamadae
riverdae.JPG
3 Phy's
phy3.JPG
Phy nigra
phynigra.JPG
Phy nigra Henon
phyhenon.JPG
Phy primontana
phyprim.JPG
Phy aurita
phyaurit.JPG
Mounds beginning to form
mounds3.JPG
More to come, I've also planted Himalayacalamus, Chimonobambusa, Hibanobambusa, Borinda, Pseudosasa.....
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Starting to plant

Post by Alan_L »

That is going to be impressive in a couple of years!

What's the lot size?
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Looking good
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

It's only 15,000 sq feet and I'm trying to save room for other plants. Thus far I've mostly kept bamboo out of the orchard area where I've added to the existing fruit trees. I plan on having pathways between big bamboo mounds for large areas.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Did you get your banana from the old place
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Yes, I got all 4, I butchered the big ensete but it is planted and should be all right.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

We have the same amount of space now (about 1/3 acre). Mine's full though. :lol:
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Brad ,
i don't know but some of the Australian sites are showing Dendrocalamus asper hitam and Dendrocalamus brandii Black down to -5c so that may make them safe to try :wink:
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

I saw that Robert rates them into the upper 20's, but I have to say I'm not that keen on the black bamboos and they are pricey too. I almost got rid of my Nigra here but went ahead and planted it though.
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Very nice. This will be interesting to see occasional updates and watch things progress. Your yard will certainly look different two years from now. Keep us posted
-shu
iain

Post by iain »

As shuboo says, it would be interesting to see how the garden evolves as the plants develop. I see you have Phyllostachys planted near what appears to be property lines. Out of interest, what system will you use to contain them, trenching? I imagine P. Nigra readily runs in your climate.
Boohoo?
dependable

Post by dependable »

Looks like a nice place, did you dig all those holes by hand? All those pictures of warmer climes look nice this time of year, good compared to us still in the seasonal zones.
needmore

Post by needmore »

My expectation is that the runners will be easy to contain, it does not rain from May through October, temperatures will exceed 100F - 110F many times and the ground is like cement. They will want to spread in the mulched area so I will expand the mulch to the point where I want the bamboo to stop. When they poke out of the mulch I'll snip them off, I may be wrong of course but I do not expect them to move in the native soil.

Yes, digging by hand and it is murder. In a few spots so far I've not been able to get 2 inches deep so those are essentially growing on top of the soil, help in place by the potting mix and mulch. In other spots I've been able to dig deep enough to plant normally.

I could do w/o the 100F but I like a climate where I can grow stone fruits and citrus, planted lettuce and cabbage last week to see how that will do, I drive past huge fields of it right now so it should work for me. Winters are cool to chilly so I don't expect the Bambusa to approach FL sizes, we'll have weeks of 50's/30's in the winter.
iain

Post by iain »

That sounds like a plan, Brad. I find a trenching spade helps in difficult soil, but I can just imagine what the ground is like in an arid climate, particularly if it is stony. We haven't had a week without rain this summer and pretty well overcast most days.

Oh, just saw your post about root pruning on the message board. Sorry about that.
Boohoo?
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Man I can relate to your hand digging nightmare on a different level. Our soil on our property is fantastic. It was formerly an orange grove for generations. So many years of fallen leaf litter and rotten citrus has produced some seriously dark, rich soil. It’s much easier to dig holes in. But last time I went to see Robert I bought about $3500 worth of bamboo. Mostly divisions of B. Oldhamii and B.Text Gracilis. Once I got home I realized that I had to get about 60-70 divisions in the ground with a shovel. My shovel is heavy, solid steel made by Wolverine. I paid around $230 for this monster. When I bought it I remember thinking that I must’ve lost my mind spending this much for a shovel. Turns out it’s one of the best purchases ever. Anybody ever heard of Wolverine brand?
-shu