Calcium nitrate for Bamboo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Calcium nitrate for Bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Wondering what people’s opinions / experiences are on Calcium Nitrate for Bamboo feeding. What kind of application rates if people have used it and has there been any negative impacts.

I’ve got access to a lot of free Cal nitrate so I hoping this is a good option.

Kailey in Comox BC
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Calcium nitrate for Bamboo

Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi Van,

I used calcium nitrate a few times this year on my in ground plants that were 1 yr old and my potted plants. I can't tell you if my great results were from the calcium nitrate, time released fertilizer, expensive high nitrogen fertilizer, mulch or the excessive rain we had this year. I can tell you I didn't have any negative impact.

My first application was thrown handfuls and I went through a lot of calcium nitrate. I then tried diluting in a pump sprayer, mixture 4 tablespoons per gallon of water. I think I saw that mix ratio from a tomato video I watched. This may not be enough, I really don't know, but I was warned this stuff is highly potent. This is my preferred method of application and I don't do it as often as I should, I hope I'm more committed this next shooting season.

I have a small muscadine grape vineyard and watched a video from a credible source that claims a calcium nitrate application every other week during growing season is recommended and the alternate weeks get 10-10-10. So this is the comparison I came up with. If the grape vines have a shooting season and require a lot of fertilizer/calcium nitrate for best fruiting results, it makes sense to me the Bamboo shooting season is relatively the same concept. BTW...grape vines must be severely pruned for best fruiting results.

As much as Bamboo likes high nitrogen I don't see how you could grow wrong applying it to your Bamboo, unless you apply too much and burn the root ball. I plan to continue applying calcium nitrate to my plants, but what do I know, I've only been exposed to Bamboo for 2 yrs. I believe a calcium nitrate application to be a chemical substitute (booster shot of nitrogen) for a manure application. I would love to hear from seasoned pros on this quandary also.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

As long as it doesn't hurt the soil and you don't burn the roots, I'd think it's fine. Keep building the soil with organics though -- healthy, living soil is key to everything.
Van-isle-bamboo

Thank you for the repones Guys.

I ended up getting about 700 pounds of cal nitrate :shock: It was free so I really couldn’t turn it down.

I use lots of mulch every spring that’s really high in nitrogen so it does concern me about how potent this Cal nitrate is rumored to be. I have lots of planting’s around so it’s probably going to be a handful type application like I do with the lawn fertilizer I use.

I’ll try to do some more research online about application rates and post if I find out some good information. Calcium is also really good for plants so it shouldn’t hurt if used moderately.

I do know it works wonders for lawns ( that’s what the guys said that gave it to me ) and of course then Bamboo should be similar since it’s in the same family.

Healthy soil is important to me so moderation is the key.

Thanks again.

Kailey
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Just make sure you don't over-do it, and your bamboo should be fine. Like every grass, it can be extremely grateful for a nice amount of nutrients.
Van-isle-bamboo

Thanks you Tarzanus I will definitely keep that in mind.

Nitrogen burn is a serious consideration but also is the salt content within the soil as well. I’ve been wanting to stay to a more organic type feeding system but with the size of the yard I have and the many many planting’s of shrubs, trees, perennials and Bamboo it makes it highly unaffordable.

I did try using straight bloodmeal last year with decent results. I know it does take longer to break down though. My concern would be the temp release rates on blood meal also.

I’m hoping cal nitrate will be available to the roots at a cooler temp. We do not get to hot here where I live except for July and August and then the Bamboo is for the most part over with shooting.

I plan on adding bone meal with the cal N as well. We will see how it goes I guess.