Tips for this weeks FREEZE

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ophiuchus
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Tips for this weeks FREEZE

Post by Ophiuchus »

Quick update: My leaves are fried after the storm. Some of the new culms have turned brown as well and the older ones have suffered top kill. I had hoped to single propagate this year, but I'm concerned if leafless culms will survive.

Will a leafless culm single division survive propagation performed late Feb?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Ophiuchus wrote:Will a leafless culm single division survive propagation performed late Feb?
Yes, if the rhizome is still alive. I have done this with damaged culms with no problem. However, if you were cold enough for long enough, and no protection was provided, some species could have damage below the soil line. If you are seeing culms turning brown, it is possible that it will take a while to see the full extent of the damage. The more damage to the culm, the weaker the division will initially be.

I would still divide, but then plan to cover with a tarp during future winters. Not every winter will be as cold as this one, but covering for a few nights can save a whole year's growth (or more).
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

Thanks Glen, I have some culms that have turned brown and working their way down to the root ball. I did plan on using the ones with top kill and hopefully that will survive.

As you have stated, I will go through the trouble to cover them next year. It will be a pain, but my plants are not sale able in their present condition.