Bamboo winter update (No pics)

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

thebambooguy
Location info: 0

Bamboo winter update (No pics)

Post by thebambooguy »

I'm happy to report all my bamboo has stayed green so far this winter other than my Phyllostachys Vivax, which has suffered some damage so I guess I'll start tarping it every year.

Surprisingly my Phyllostachys nigra is doing the best out of the bunch, although it is the most established so maybe it isn't as impressive as I think.

I'm really impressed with how well they are all doing considering I had to relocate them all this November.

How is everyones bamboo doing this winter?
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Bamboo winter update (No pics)

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Comox report Vancouver Island BC.

Bamboo has done really good but I don’t think I’ve seen any temps lower then -5c. I’ve had some breakage on Vivax aureocaulis from snow but that’s it.

My fargesia scabrida is shooting but it is up next to the home on a West wall.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Marginal hardy like psudo-sasa japonica took an 80% hit to foliage & probably culms, similar with the Semi-aurundinarias, and stand of Pleioblastus simonii that was finally getting some height. Most all the Phyllos OK, so far, tops burned on tall ones. As usual, P bissetti looks the best through the winter. Fargesas doing OK, as are most of others.
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Comox report Vancouver Island BC.

Bamboo has done really good but I don’t think I’ve seen any temps lower then -5c. I’ve had some breakage on Vivax aureocaulis from snow but that’s it.

My fargesia scabrida is shooting but it is up next to the home on a West wall.
Upon more inspection I too found that the snow had snapped some of my Vivax too. I'm sure it'll make up for it in the spring though.