Gracilis new planted going crazy! Please help!

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Akos
Location info: 0

Gracilis new planted going crazy! Please help!

Post by Akos »

Hello we haven just purchased about 2 months ago 12 gracilis texilis bamboo 15 gallon pots from San Diego. We live in LA . Brought them back waited a few weeks then planted them.

It’s been about a month and the bamboo looks terrible compared to when we first got theme

All the leaves are drying up. From the bottom leaves first to the tip.
We trued to water the plant when we saw the leaves curl up like a cigar. But last few weeks it has been raining 2 a week so we k ow it gets enough water. We haven’t seen any leaves curl over.

Maybe too much water?

When we planted them we added soil/mulch from Lowe’s mixed in with a little chicken poop ( what the seller recommended. Our backyard has been empty from construction for years. It’s very poor in nutrients for sure. Maybe it needs more nutrients...

We had a few chilly nights last few weeks and windy as well down to 37-39 some nights but it’s usually warm 60-75 daytime.

Any help please. It’s awfull to see the plants just slowly wither away. And we do t know what to do. What could I possibly do to help, unless I know what the problem is.

I’ve attached some pictures hopefully they help indentify some signs .
Thank you very much!
Attachments
7FB050B9-56F3-4AB9-B59A-FFF6354F4B56.jpeg
8077AF35-8756-483A-8012-8466E77AD286.jpeg
B657F06A-5192-4168-9D2A-2802BF221527.jpeg
Glen

Re: Gracilis new planted going crazy! Please help!

Post by Glen »

I do not think overwatering is an issue. Underwatering might be.

My plants have had their roots submerged for days or weeks at a time, without harm. If the rains that you are getting are not deep, soaking rains, they are probably inadequate for newly planted bamboos. The original rootballs need to be soaked regularly.

Besides ensuring adequate moisture, I recommend the application of a high quality water soluble fertilizer, or lawn fertilizer. I do not believe that lack of nutrients is contributing to your current problem, but adequate nutrient levels will be important for the establishment of your plants.

Keep the surface mulched well.
Akos

Post by Akos »

Thank you:

At the beginning in the pots and the first few weeks the leaves would curl like a cigar, so we knew it was time to water them. But recently the leaves never curled like that for the past few weeks. That was the only sign I learend so far to look out for when they need water or not.

We are supposed to have rainfall all week so that should indicate wether they needed a good watering or not if they start to look better after this week.

When should we be expecting new shoots to emerg as a sign of new life..?
Adam A

Post by Adam A »

Some show a little shock initially when planted. I’ve found even a new water source such as city water with some chemicals can initially effect the bamboo. I have found gracillis to be very tough and hardy. It might initially lose some leaves, but will likely quickly sprout new leafs and do just fine. Let us know how it goes.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Akos wrote:Thank you:

At the beginning in the pots and the first few weeks the leaves would curl like a cigar, so we knew it was time to water them. But recently the leaves never curled like that for the past few weeks. That was the only sign I learend so far to look out for when they need water or not.

We are supposed to have rainfall all week so that should indicate wether they needed a good watering or not if they start to look better after this week.

When should we be expecting new shoots to emerg as a sign of new life..?
If you are waiting for the leaves to curl between waterings, that is not adequate for Bambusa, and it will cause the plants to shed leaves due to chronic moisture stress. A bamboo with leaves that are curled like a cigar is experiencing damage.

Unless you are getting 1-2 inches of precipitation per week, I think these new plants should be watered. I just planted a couple of the same variety. Even though the soil that I planted them into was almost too muddy to dig a hole, I will probably water in a few days, just to make sure that the rootballs do not get dry, even once.

In my area, I generally see shoots in June, but this will vary due to local conditions. Also, new plants often shoot earlier. I have a plant that was placed in the ground last summer, and it already has a new shoot.

The first sign to look for is the activation of buds on the current twigs. Once these buds begin to produce new leaves, you know your plants are stabilized and are moving forward.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

What does the underside of the leaves look like? Mites are a big problem in your area. RGds