Bamboo shoots 2018

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

UPBooMatt
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo shoots 2018

Post by UPBooMatt »

Will do!

Took the cage off today, I'm fairly certain it should be safe now, and the lower branches are starting to explode! It has several that are already longer, and thicker, than the shoots my bissetii has made thus far..lol.

Weather has been cool and rainy for the last few days and growth is maybe 1-2" a day. I'm thinking this will be a nice, stocky culm, double the thickness and maybe a foot taller by the time it's done.
Attachments
IMG_16062018_001653.jpg
IMG_16062018_001642.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

This Dendrocalamus sp. 'Parker's Giant' shoot will be my largest this year, the B oldhamii is just starting but will not exceed this guy. This was a mail order plant in spring 2016 and only planted in ground 11/17. The skinny culms in the background were what came in the mail. Too bad this guy is expected to flower and die soon.
parkerx.JPG
The culm to the right of the shoot looks like this:
park1.JPG
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Looks good Brad.

I have a complete random question. I've been searching/browsing old threads and I realize you have moved or at least frequently travel, but do you happen to still have access to the Arundinaria gigantea "possum trot" (fantastic name btw) that you and "eastlandia" were posting about a LONG time ago. I would love a native bamboo, and it sounded like one of the hardier versions of it.
needmore

Post by needmore »

As far as I know I still have it, but I have not been to my old place for 3 years now. That one should still be there as hardy as it is and I don't think my tenants would have culled it. Problem is though that I'm probably not going back for another year...
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

My wife wouldn't think that's so much of a problem, she has already stated her feelings that I've planted enough for this year...lol..and to think, just today I finished digging and setting up a bed for my "birthday boo." :roll: It's my birthday today and I have on the way as a gift to myself a 5 gal Fargesia "jiugzhaigou I" I figured it couldn't hurt to get a Fargesia as well since I'm testing out some Phyllostachys in my climate.

Anyway I'm rambling. If you do get back and it is still there, and if you're willing to part with and dig some, I'd love to try it out up here and see what it really can do in a colder climate. Keep me in mind next year if you make a trip and maybe we can work out a deal.

Back to shoots. My rubro shoot is 4 weeks old today, vertical growth seems to have stopped at just about 80". Might just make 7ft (my deck railing is 6 for ref. in the pic with wife who think I'm crazy for measuring my plants on a weekly or sometimes daily basis) if it stretches just a bit more as it leafs out, but it's shed more than half its culm sheaths and has branches galore so I think it's done. It'll be about the same height at the original culm, and twice the thickness...lol. I'm fairly sure the cooler weather from about day 10-20 is to blame, but I'm definitely not complaining.

My spectabilis has one shoot just making 3ft, and two others at about 2, and they are gorgeous. I even noticed some extra vertical green striping on one of the small culms in addition to the green sulcus! Love it!
Attachments
IMG_20062018_224052.jpg
IMG_20062018_224142.jpg
IMG_20062018_224030.jpg
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

And I just noticed that while unintentional, you can see in the day time pic, vs the evening pic, said bed I made today for "jiuzhaigaou" in the background in the corner...lol. I was sad I hadn't taken a before and after so that's a pleasant surprise.
iain

Post by iain »

UPBooMatt wrote:wife who think I'm crazy for measuring my plants on a weekly or sometimes daily basis
No, really? :lol: Your enthusiasm is infectious. It will be interesting to see how your plants upsize next year. This is the third year for this Ph. vivax 'Huangwenzhu' and one shoot (second in from right) is easily 1" thick, three times the size of last year's.
IMG_0915.jpg
Boohoo?
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

She must be immune to the infection then...lol

I appreciate your use of the word "upsize" vs. "survive" when referring to my plants next year, that's the kind of optimism I think it probably takes to grow bamboo in zone 5... :)
needmore

Post by needmore »

Still going strong
park2.JPG
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I got 5 shoots on the bicolor, the 2 on the far left very small. Since it still got damaged despite tarping, the culms aren't very big, but should still have nearly as much foliage as it would if it didn't get burnt since the 3 tall ones are still at least 6ft tall.

Shanghai III is bigger than it's ever been around 1.5 inches by 20footers, but it may not be possible to try and protect.

Parvifolia had a huge setback as it mostly top killed for the first time ever which shows how bad of a winter it was. It's still maintaining 1 inch shoots up to near 15ft high so a couple of mild winters can get it back to size.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

stevelau1911 wrote: Shanghai III is bigger than it's ever been around 1.5 inches by 20footers, but it may not be possible to try and protect.
That's the thing... given the borderline climate that we're in, we need to decide at which point to stop protecting the bamboos. One alternative is to selectively protect certain culms...i.e. the largest one(s). Also important is to protect the ground beneath, but it would be challenging to navigate around so many culms (with the tarp). Or...you could sacrifice (chop down) all but the ones you plan on saving.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

For Shanghai 3 there were a lot of culms I had to break in order to tarp, but they stayed green through the winter enough to transfer their energy to the massive new culms this year. It is sometimes tough to break them low enough to cover them well, but as long as theres attachment, the top parts usually stay alive.

The parvifolia actually didnt have much drop off in foliar mass so it could get right back to 2 inch culms next season if the culms this season are bendable.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

4 shoots spotted today on my newly purchased and planted exactly one week F. jiuzhaigou 1!!! We got ~1 1\2" of rain yesterday preceeded and followed by 80+* temps, and other than some minor leaf roll in the morning sun, for 7 days in a box, and only being in the ground 7 days this thing seems quite content to pick up growing where it left off.

First pic you can see 3, and the second you can see the fourth in the center of the planting flush against another culm...clumping away... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_02072018_193851.jpg
IMG_02072018_193825.jpg
dependable

Post by dependable »

Good upsize on most of the phyllostachys. Pictures of a few:
Attachments
Nuda, making a break for it, slowly.
Nuda, making a break for it, slowly.
Vivax, finally making it back from freeze off a few years back
Vivax, finally making it back from freeze off a few years back
Vivax aureocaulis, makes it to the slab
Vivax aureocaulis, makes it to the slab
Last edited by dependable on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dependable

Post by dependable »

P rugromaginata, last major shoots of season, good upsize.
Attachments
Rubro blasts though old bag of sand.  Squirrel got the next one.
Rubro blasts though old bag of sand. Squirrel got the next one.
Rubro, helping to hide the container pile.
Rubro, helping to hide the container pile.