Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon'

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon'

Post by johnw »

Just back from a speaking tour on the west coast. Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' seems to be the most common planted Phyllostachys.

We saw these:

1-3 Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' at the O'Byrne Garden in Eugene, OR, note on the left side of photo 2 how the small trench with running water successfully stops the Phyllo from crossing into the garden.

4-5 Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' at Sean Hogan's in NE Portland, OR; a late night photo.

6. Sasa x veitchii at the Abkhazi garden in Victoria, BC I will have to post this sepataely as the site tells me I do not have access to to the picture!

Only saw a half dozen Fargesias in Portland, one in a city planter and the rest were in tubs downtown. All the bamboos we saw had mites, some severally disfigured and a few mildly so, the low humidity the culprit I suspect

Weather was superb!

johnw
Attachments
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' @  O'Byrne garden  IMG-20180314-15733.jpg
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' @ O'Byrne garden  IMG-20180314-15736.jpg
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' @ O'Byrne garden  IMG-20180314-15738.jpg
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' @ Sean Hogan's IMG-20180313-15643.jpg
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' @ Sean Hogan's IMG-20180313-15644.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
johnw

Re: Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon'

Post by johnw »

6. Sasa x veitchii at the Abkhazi garden in Victoria, BC (I will have to post this sepataely as the site tells me I do not have access to to the picture!)

johnw
Attachments
Sasa veitchii @! Abkhazi Garden IMG-20180317-15857.jpg
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Nice photos.

I didn’t know you were in Victoria! I would of drove down and met up.

Lots of mite damaged Bamboo in the PNW. It’s really too bad.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Though the Phyllos had a fair number of mites it was the Fargesias that were particularly badly affected.

john

5c, drizzle & fog after an exceptionally mild winter.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I wish I could grow 'Henon' like that. If I ever get a 1 inch culm, I will declare victory. :D
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Glen, it is surprising that you can't, I see large Henon here and our winter lows I think are similar but we have more of them so I guess it is chill hours - that is why I asked earlier if stone fruits grow there. Summers here are HOT, dry as well, I think we hit 113F last summer, many >100F days.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

needmore wrote:Glen, it is surprising that you can't, I see large Henon here and our winter lows I think are similar but we have more of them so I guess it is chill hours - that is why I asked earlier if stone fruits grow there. Summers here are HOT, dry as well, I think we hit 113F last summer, many >100F days.
In the pine forests of East Texas, the Phyllostachys nigra varieties perform well. This area is similar in climate and soils to much of the southern United States. Soils tend to be sandy and acidic, and the winters tend to be a little more distinct.

The P. nigra varieties are popular, and they will grow in much of the state, but they just do not compare to the plants on the West Coast.

I have a grove of 'Henon' in Brazos County that is around 15 years old, and I might have a couple culms around 3/4 inch in diameter. Also, the leaves are perpetually burned on the tips. In this same area, I have P. aurea around 2.5 inches in diameter.

Where I live now, 'Henon' looks very healthy, but it is getting smaller each year. I am down to about 1/4 inch. :?
dependable

Post by dependable »

I had 'Henon' and 'Bory' both up to about 2 in culm diameteer, they both got killed to ground in what I call "the valentines night massacre" a few winters ago, along with vivax varieties, Semi-Arundinarias, Hibanobusa, etc.. P nigra itself seems even slightly less hardy here, barely hanging on along with P aurea.

9 years in 10, it won't get below 0*F here, but darn, those outlying weather events take their toll.
springtimeshoots

Post by springtimeshoots »

dependable wrote:I had 'Henon' and 'Bory' both up to about 2 in culm diameteer, they both got killed to ground in what I call "the valentines night massacre" a few winters ago, along with vivax varieties, Semi-Arundinarias, Hibanobusa, etc.. P nigra itself seems even slightly less hardy here, barely hanging on along with P aurea.

9 years in 10, it won't get below 0*F here, but darn, those outlying weather events take their toll.
Hey dependable,

How big was your Henon when you first planted it and how long did it take to become 2 inches? Personally I've never seen a single Henon culm bigger than 1 inches around my neck of the wood. Grey Henon just doesn't want to upsize around here. I give it lots of fresh fertilizer. Water. I kiss it. I sing to it. Still nothing!