Bamboo shot in the box during shipping..

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rcb
Location info: 0

Bamboo shot in the box during shipping..

Post by rcb »

Hey guys.. long time no post.

Anyway, I've got a question for you all. I just received three really nice #5 boos from BG (one yellow groove, one Spectabilis and one Bissetti), and they are all right in the middle of shooting. Basically, they shot in the box, and there are several really tall shoots that look to be badly damaged. The damaged ones got bent around in the box and now the places where they bent seem much more soft and flexible than the rest of the shoot. I'm also not seeing (after one day) any effort to turn up at the ends. Possibly they're already dead at the tops. However, some of them do have branches forming below the damage that look healthy.

There are also several shorter shoots that are even fatter than the damaged ones.

My question is, how damaged can a shoot be and still recover? Would it be better to just not touch them, or to snip them off at the injured spots so the plant doesn't waste any more energy on them? Would clipping them make the smaller shoots more or less likely to abort?
dependable

Re: Bamboo shot in the box during shipping..

Post by dependable »

I'd leave them be for a while and see how they do. Usually if the shoots are too damaged to grow, the plant will "abandon" them itself, and it will be apparent what to prune off later.
Glen

Re: Bamboo shot in the box during shipping..

Post by Glen »

It is frustrating when this happens. I usually try to time my orders to avoid shipment while shooting, but that is not always possible.

Sometimes the shoots make it and sometimes they do not. I would just leave the shoots alone and take good care of the plants until they stabilize. Do not cut anything off until it is clearly dead.