B. tuldoides cv swollen Internode - Cool Buddha

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

BamBuddha
Location info: 0

B. tuldoides cv swollen Internode - Cool Buddha

Post by BamBuddha »

I planted my B. tuldoides cv swollen Internode in June this year and it has put out a few zig zag shoots but not really producing the bellies. Not sure if that comes with maturity or if it needs to be more stressed. Anyone have experience growing this bamboo? I plan on posting pictures when I get a chance
Last edited by BamBuddha on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike, Jax Florida Zone 9a
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: B. tuldoides cv swollen Internode - Cool Buddha

Post by needmore »

I think those would have to be Tuldoides shoots, no Ventricosa involved and the story on this bamboo is supposed to be the reliable bellying as opposed to Ventricosa which is unreliable - sounds like you are not seeing that yet?

For my two B ventricosa the bellying seems to have nothing to do with stress, one is doing it the other is not and both are equally pampered.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

needmore wrote:I think those would have to be Tuldoides shoots, no Ventricosa involved and the story on this bamboo is supposed to be the reliable bellying as opposed to Ventricosa which is unreliable - sounds like you are not seeing that yet?

For my two B ventricosa the bellying seems to have nothing to do with stress, one is doing it the other is not and both are equally pampered.

So far all I am getting is the Zig zag.. Hopefully this changes with time.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I wondered how reliable to bellies would be on the B tuldoides, so far I've resisted the thing.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have had a Bambusa ventricosa. Unknown variety, unknown origin. Well, it was hardy and persisted during drought. I have planted it into a relatively small pot and in the end, it could suck out the soil moisture after watering in less than a day. If thirsty, it grew slowly and I think it did have more swollen internodes. In the end, 0°C night finished it off.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I have had a 'Swollen Internode' planted in the ground since last fall, and the culms do show obvious swelling. I think the swelling will be more extreme as it makes larger diameter culms, but it does look like the swelling is present in all culms. This is in contrast to B. ventricosa, which can make swollen and non-swollen culms at the same time. In this climate, it seems that B. ventricosa will mostly stop producing swollen culms as soon as it gets a couple roots in the ground.
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

Here are some pictures I took this morning
Attachments
cool buddha 2.jpg
cool buddha 1.jpg
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

Glen wrote: I think the swelling will be more extreme as it makes larger diameter culms, but it does look like the swelling is present in all culms.

I am hoping this will be the case with mine
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi Mike,

I have one in the ground and five in seven gallon pots. I can see the bellies swelling, but I too am hoping for more once they begin to mature. My plants were purchased last November in 3 gal pots. I bought 4 plants, put one in the ground, lost one to the winter (I'm assuming) and divided the other 2 into 5 seven gallons plants.

Being this plant just came out of quarantine in 2017, I guess we will all just have to wait to see what kind of results we'll see with our own particular climate zone. I'm really excited about this plant, but it is not as an aggressive grower like many of the Bambusa species I have.