Phyllostachys bambusoides?

Moderator: needmore

jtkach
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Phyllostachys bambusoides?

Post by jtkach »

OK, here is another grove around the Charlotte, NC area that I need help identifying, I am pretty sure it is Bambusoides, but I am not positive. These are monsters. I cut one down that measured 67ft. tall and culms on the big ones are 4-5+" in diameter. The culm wall is fairly thick. They shoot in late May and early June. Here are the pics.
jT
Markj

RE: Phyllostachys bambusoides?

Post by Markj »

Yep- looks like bambusoides to me, although the culm sheath id should really be done from one at mid height, your pic of a shoot shows some good features of bambusoides. Well developed auricles, sheaths bordered by long cilia and the ligule is fimbrillated/fringed--although that coin is not in a good spot though :roll:

nice plant :D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

jT,

I would have to agree with you and Markj. It's not vivax or henon, so the only other plant that I know of that grows that big in the southeast is bambusoides. And as Mark said it certainly has the characteristics of bambusoides.

I'm curious to know more about this grove; is it abandoned? Was the culm that you cut several years old, and if it was I'd love to have a 6ft piece for my bow making endeavors. Bambusoides makes an excellent bow backing material if it is 3 or 4 years old.

Do you by any chance know the age of the grove?

As Mark said it is a very nice plant!

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
jtkach

Post by jtkach »

Thanks Mark and David for the feedback. I thought it was bambusoides but I wanted to get some other opinions. Yeah I was going a little coin crazy that day, but I needed something to give me a size reference and a quarter is what I had.

David that grove is in an abandoned lot in Charlotte. The current owner is the city of Charlotte. I do not have the culm I mentioned in my post. It was one of twelve a friend and I cut down to make poles for his tepee. The poles had to be 40 feet in length. He is still using them today 4 years after originally cutting them down. By the way that was a fun drive from the grove to my friend's house.

If you are interested I can easily get a few more culms. The grove is overgrown and has been around for a while it is approximately 150-200' deep by about 50' wide and the majority of the culms are probably anywhere from 2-3 inches in diameter and 40'+ tall. Just reply back to this if you are interested and we can figure away to get the materials to you.
jT
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

jT,

I bet hauling 40 foot poles was a challenge. In my mind I see them tied over the top of a Honda civic with red flags on both ends! :lol:

Some of the older culms in the 4-5 in range would be ideal. Anything less than say 4 in has to much curve across the back, and presents stress issues for the bow limbs.

If there is anything that size left in the grove I would love to have a straight 6 foot piece with approximately equidistant internode lengths. No rush on my part so whenever it's convenient for you would be fine.

Thanks!

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
jtkach

Post by jtkach »

David let me see what I can do. Any chance that you are going to be down in Byron GA this weekend for the SEC cleanup day. If so let me know and I can bring a few sections for you.

Luckily we were driving a 3/4 ton with an extended pipe rack up top. We had about 12' sticking over either end. To say the least we got some looks going down the road.
jT