Oasis ID

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Oasis ID

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:How's this for zig-zagging... Roy
More like a snake than zig-zag. I bet the thorns would get one's attention if someone wanted to do a little climbing. :)
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Oasis ID

Post by boonut »

B. Bambos is like a big ball of barbed wire at 1 yr. old... probably about 2 - 3 feet tall.

After 4 years (might be 5 years old), it is simply magnificent. The new culms this year were way too big for the clump... the culms are incredibly heavy... two fell over from the weight and height of the culms. I cut them down to just 10 feet tall. I trim the branches to about 6 feet from the ground. Most people that see my yard in town like that one best.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:How's this for zig-zagging... Roy

[img]..snip%20image...[/img]
I believe this is the largest bamboo that I have ever seen in person. I saw a clump of it, south of Miami in 1990, when it was going by the name of Bambusa arundinacea. The lower branches were like a tangled web of barbwire, except with many large thorns about the length of one's little finger.
Roy Rogers
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Oasis ID

Post by boonut »

Bambos does not have large thorns... they are small and hooked. They remind me of a small cat's claw. If you walk by one of the lower branches, you better be ready to get hooked and scratched.

B. Bambos is not like Guaduas with straight long thorns. After about 12 feet, you don't really see that many thorns. With the Guaduas, you get deep penetration with the thorns. With B. Bambos, you get hooked and it kind of drags you deeper into the boo... :twisted: very serious bamboo. That is one reason I keep all the branches cut below 6 feet.

My B. Bambos (at the house) is only about 4 inches in diameter so far... so it is not full grown. My guess is that it will grow over 8 inches down here.

Mine came from Darwin Nelson's Corpus Christi nursery. I have quite a few of them.

One of the unique characteristics of B. Bambos is that the first year new culms rarely put out leaves. The culms go straight up and then after full growth, about a month or two later, it starts to branch. The following year, it leafs out.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:..snip...

One of the unique characteristics of B. Bambos is that the first year new culms rarely put out leaves. The culms go straight up and then after full growth, about a month or two later, it starts to branch. The following year, it leafs out.
That's like my B. oldhamii. Mine shoot late Summer and then put out branches and leaves the next year.
Roy Rogers