P. parvifolia shoots

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

P. parvifolia shoots

Post by foxd »

Since a number of us have P. parvifolia that are sizing up, it might be a good idea to compare pictures of the shoots to verify that we do indeed have parvifolia and to see how the shoots vary between the cultivars. Also it would provide some shoot pictures for the Photos section.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: P. parvifolia shoots

Post by Alan_L »

I would also say that if you have clear shoot photos from *any* species, check the photo gallery for that species and see if there are shoot photos already. If not, please post yours. There are many species that don't have good shoot photos.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Dan,

Here's mine. Posted some more in the gallery. This one is 3 years old, and 2 years in ground ~ .75"-1.25". Lots of water, grass clippings, lawn fert, and Iornite.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

Wow - love the purple!
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
foxd

Post by foxd »

This was traded to me as P. parvifolia several years ago.
parv2.jpg
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Dan, I think it is parvi. Ive seen significant color variation in my plants, and they are just now becoming more consistent. The sheath leaves/blade is very unique, and yours appears correct for parvi.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

At least it didn't turn out to be yellow groove Dan!
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

David, you really think so? That sure looks to me like Decora but it will be clearer to my eye once his gets a bit taller. Never seen that coloration on any of my Parvifolia shoots, to me they look very much like Atrovaginata but orange instead of magenta as do yours & Steves'.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David

Post by David »

Brad- When it comes to bamboo I'm not absolutely sure/ certain about much. I'll go look at some decora shoots, and get back to you. Dan's shoot looks like some of my parvi when I was searching for its desired nutrition. :?:
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's mine however it's not sizing up at all so far, but it is spreading around 3 feet in each direction.

needmore

Post by needmore »

Dan, at the risk of being a major wet blanket...I just checked out my Decora and I could take shoot photos that look identical to yours. You'll know more for sure when that elongates and begins dropping culm leaves but it may not be Parvifolia.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

The size of the leaves should pin the id down, shouldn't it?
cheers,
Adrian.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Parvifolia looks pretty different from any other bamboos that I have so far. It has the tiniest leaves with very long branches that come off almost horizontally off the branches and my juvenile culms tend to bend over with their weight. Most of the shoots also come up at angles. The one in the picture I took was the straightest one. It's also one of the hardiest bamboos, at least as hardy as yellow groove. The rhizomes also grow pretty fat and spread far so this summer I might let a few of them turn into whip shoots if they want to instead of pressing them back in the soil so I can get an instant upsize this year.

I also noticed that the same exact shoot in that picture above looks like it doubled in diameter since that picture was taken either indicating that they expand in diameter after they appear, or it was not out all the way yet, so I guess there is some upsize with some of them, but I'll know better in a couple weeks when all of them come up.
David

Post by David »

Brad and Dan,

Here are a couple of 'Decora' shoots.

I can see your point Brad but the Decora here seems to have more color, stripes and speckles than Dan's shoot. I suppose it could be growing conditions, maturity, etc. that effects the color.

I just don't know, but I will defer to your ID: you're usually right.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

Okay, I am bracing myself for the bad news if it turns out to be 'Decora'. Spare Parvifolia anyone?

I am also bracing myself that the 'Harbin' is actually 'Alata'.

And that I am once again going to lose out on getting a Male Hardy Kiwi. (Not in yet. Not in yet. Not in yet. Not in yet. Not in yet. Not in yet. Not in yet. We got those in at the beginning of the year. :evil: )
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.