3yrs.old and dont have a clue as to what type.

Moderator: needmore

mike c
Location info: 0

Post by mike c »

First things first,I live in south georgia.We bought these as a giant bamboo of some type,but have lost the tag that accompanied the plant.This year they have exploded ! I would really like to know what type they are so I can care for them properly.Any help would be appreciated.
Everday is a good day,some just better than others.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: 3yrs.old and dont have a clue as to what type.

Post by David »

Hey Mike. It's Phyllostachys Aurea. Notice the compressed lower nodes. Slightly blue beneath the new sheath scar. Upright habit. Shoots look like aurea.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
mike c

Post by mike c »

Thanks David,do you have any recommendations on caring for this type and any idea the size potential?
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

No particular care- seems like what you are doing is producing healthy growth. Aurea should easily reach 25ft and 1.5 to 1.75 inches in your neck of the woods.

The true giant for your area of the country is Phyllostachys edulis 'Moso' which can reach 6-7in in dia. and 50-70ft in height. I would recommend the Anderson clone from Anderson, SC as it seems to be somewhat more hardy than other Moso clones that I have grown in the past. Other large timber bamboo for your area would be any of the vivax forms, and any of the viridis forms. All of these plants should be readily available in your area, and I suspect that there are forum members near you that could help you out.

I call Moso, Mo slow here in Middle TN, but even here it has finally reached over 3" in diameter. I suspect it will continue to size up slowly. It will be quicker to size up in your climate, and should reach its maximum growth potential as your climate should be ideal.

Welcome to the forum!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Welcome to the forum, Mike! Looks like your aurea is doing well for the 3rd year! It does seem like you have good space for some other types there, though :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
mike c

Post by mike c »

David ,I really appreciate all the info. I would like to grow some of the larger bamboo,maybe even try the clumping species.
mike c

Post by mike c »

Hi bamboothew, I live on my grandfathers old farm place with about 7 acres of high ground.They love lots of water ! All I have done is thin them this year and put a little lime.
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

mike c wrote:Hi bamboothew, I live on my grandfathers old farm place with about 7 acres of high ground.They love lots of water ! All I have done is thin them this year and put a little lime.
Mike, you're correct on plenty of water but you can skip the lime; they like the acidic soil. They'll do a little better with some compost or leaf litter to conserve water, and feed them. I grew up in Waycross and your growing conditions are similiar to mine here in Mobile. Moso is a good choice for the giant bamboos but takes it's time sizing up. Japanese Timber will size up faster but doesn't spread as fast. I've seen some mature groves of both and they are very impressive. For the clumpers, most of the B.Multiplex varies will do well. For the larger clumpers you're borderline for Clone X and maybe a little too cold for Oldhamii. There's a ton of info on this site about growing bamboo and most of these guys really know their stuff.
dependable

Post by dependable »

I have always thought most bamboos prefer neutral soil, so I lime & add wood ash regularly to good effect. Soil PH is mostly well below 6 here. One ecxeption would be Shibataea.
rickw
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

Neutral's probably good but we have acidic soil down here and I'm not aware of anyone liming bamboo groves to bring up the ph; I know I don't, and the runners are doing great. I think part of the problem with runners, especially Moso, grown in the Southwest is the high ph from what I've read on here.
mike c

Post by mike c »

Hey rickw, I appreciate all the info I can get. I spoke with a guy that lives in Doerun Ga. the other night ,he is a wholesaler of bamboo only.Thinking about riding over friday and check out some mature Moso and Vivax.
rickw

Post by rickw »

Never heard of Doerun, must really be in the boonies. While you're there check out the difference in wall thickness between Moso and Vivax, I steered away from Vivax because I wanted to do projects with bamboo down the road a wanted the thicker walls. Take a look at Ph Nigra, not as large but love the black coloring on the culms and spreads like crazy. Also Robert Young is pretty large and has a nice gold colored culm. The Moso is one you definitely want, your kids and grandkids can enjoy it. If you can get your hands on some compost and livestock manure, you can direct the spread of the rhizomes.
mike c

Post by mike c »

I plan on taking my camera for some pics. Me thinks I have been bitten by the bamboo bug.I will look for those you are talking about.