Could these be Dulcis ?

Moderator: needmore

Matt W
Location info: 91

Could these be Dulcis ?

Post by Matt W »

This bamboo came here in April 2010 http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4160 I still don't know what it is. I had thought it might be Vivax but it's well under way shooting now and the other one I'm almost sure is Vivax hasn't broken ground yet. This one we estimated at 50' in the established grove it came from in Asheville N.C. I'm pleased it finally looks like it might make something this year, shoots neck high now, but it would be nice to figure out what it is and your help is appreciated. Several more photos here http://mattsbamboo.shutterfly.com/209
What features could I get better photos to help identify? As you can see the ligules (if I have that right) are pretty much straight and the oral setae (if I have that right) are prominent.

Thanks .. Matt
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Could these be Dulcis ?

Post by dependable »

It looks something like what I have that is allegedly dulcis. However, I have a few plants that I bought from a new england vendor that look a lot alike (dulcis, decora & stimulosa) That being said, they are not in 100% sun, which might make their characteristics show more.

Nuda & vivax have similar color culm sheathes, but often w black blotches.

Best id usually when shoots are around a foot high.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hey Matt,

Did your spec shoot this year?

I don't think it's dulcis because the leaf blades on dulcis are wrinkled early on as is vivax also. Your plant appears to have straight blades.

As you know Matt immature bamboo plants can have considerable variation in their shoots so you may have to wait and see. AArrgh!

Question: What would be the best way to create a radius along the long axis of cold rolled 3/16" steel plate(not stainless)? I'm going to make a shoot digging spade.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

dependable, Crompton says on nuda " The species name refers to the absence of auricles and oral setae on both the culm and leaf sheaths." On dulcis he says " The blade is lanceolate and strongly crinkled, " So I guess both of these are not good guesses unless these are juvenile anomalies. I just went through all the timber bamboos on Bamboo Garden and I'm stumped, there just aren't that many bamboos that can survive here and Asheville where the parent grove is and reach the 40 - 50 foot height. I'm going to have to get back to the parent grove and get lots of photos.

The one y'all helped me determine is Vivax last year just peeped out yesterday, so I'll have it to compare with in a few days.

Hi David, I'm absolutely happy with the Spectabilis. Being along the road the traffic is slowing down to see what's happening! This photo shows Aureocaulis on the left and the Spectabilis on the right. Lots of photos taken this morning here http://mattsbamboo.shutterfly.com/229

Send me a sketch on your digger idea. I'm assuming by create you mean cut not lay-out. Welding shops and maybe Tractor supply have a .040" thick stones for 4.5 and 6" side grinders that cut like crazy, just be careful not to flex too much and cause them to explode and use a guard. 3/16 sounds a little thick for a tool like this. If you could find an older farm disc blade, it might have possibilities, I handled a new one lately and it was thick and soft the old ones were thin and hard. If you get a good design let me know, I probably have something (tool steel) around we could use. I have a few pieces of huge 10 or 12" wide, sawmill bandsaw blade that might work. May take a few versions to perfect. What do they use in Asia? We could always make one in damascus :lol:

Matt
Last edited by Matt W on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Your place looks great Matt! All that "rock bustin'", and dirt hauling really paid off. The Spectabilis looks really good and it's a testimony to how tough it is since they had been sitting on top the ground in a plastic bag for over a year, and no protection in the winter! With all the road interest you'll be selling it before long. BTW my Spec groves have gotten totally out of hand, and if you come down next Feb. you can dig all you want for selling and I'll take my cut in 'fabrication credits'- just a thought.

A Damascus steel shoot digger upper.... would be one very expensive spade! You could market it as the most beautiful spade in the world.

I'll send you a drawing later on and see what you think.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Thanks David,

A friend of mine is an archaeologist, he made a damascus archaeology trowel for his mentors retirement. We can probably come up with something a little more practical :) .

Matt
dependable

Post by dependable »

hey Matt you are right. I'll refrain from posting when I don't have time to paruse my bamboo books.
David

Post by David »

Hey dependable,

I hope you don't refrain from posting even when you are busy because I've found your posts to be... well, dependable.

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Hi Matt. I enjoyed perusing your shutterfly photos.

I'm just south of Asheville. Would like to know more about that parent grove... Do you know if they're still sharing?

Been thinking about adding a big boo lately, and wondering what will do best for me. 50ft sounds great.
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Hi Jeff,
PM sent. I hope you can go there and see it mature.

Matt
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I think that phyllostachys dulcis is a possibility considering the factors that it has big leaves, puts on a huge upsize, branches really low, appearing to have short branches, spreads very far with few culms and is shooting at the right time if your temperatures have been identical to those in south carolina where bamboothew is. Mine generally shoots well after the nigra, aureosulcatas, but just a bit before parvifolia, and about 2 weeks before atrovaginata which comes last.

One of the ways to make sure is to check if the leaf buds are elongating early. Dulcis leaf buds are the first to activate here with the onset of spring. Another way is to show a close up picture of a shoot when it is still under 1ft high, revealing the sheaths when they are the most distinct. A close up of the new culms toward the bottom would also show the distinguishing features of dulcis. Another way is to look at the rhizomes. They are generally short noded, hose sized, and white.

Here's a picture of mine taken 1 month ago. The only difference due to my climate/growing conditions is that mine barely spreads, but otherwise, it has all the other distinguishing features of dulcis. The leaves are huge, culms are flat green and very smooth, internodes and branches sometimes have a slight bend, branches are short and point slightly upwards, branches start almost near the bottom of the culm, and the white rings are very prominent. If your bamboo has the identical features as what's shown in this picture, then you might have dulcis.

Here are a few more pictures of dulcis which might help you identify if you indeed have the same plant that Bamboo Gardens claims to be phyllostachys dulcis.

Shoots-1ft or less

Airlayering shoot division-showing new rhizomes coming off bottom nodes of culm

Entire clump taken from a good distance
dependable

Post by dependable »

I have no experience to reference, but has anybody tasted it? It is supposed to be the least bitter.
David

Post by David »

David wrote: I don't think it's dulcis because the leaf blades on dulcis are wrinkled early on as is vivax also. Your plant appears to have straight blades.
The sheath blades appear to be too long, upright, and straight for dulcis or vivax.
Ph. dulcis.JPG
IMG_7025.JPG
Ph. vivax
Ph. vivax.JPG
IMG_7056.JPG
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Thanks for all the consideration guys, Nice photos Steve and David, that big Vivax is impressive. As far as I know no one has tasted the shoots. The lady where I got it said she doesn't eat them. Steve everything in your description matches except the point David brings about the sheath blades, which as David says may be due to young plants not showing true characteristics.

I really hope Jeff can get up there and see the parent grove. I will get there this year for photos but shooting season may be over by then. The parent patch owner believes it to be dulcis and says it gets taller than what the books indicate as max due to the soil on her place being rich.

Here might be a clue: photos taken this morning, The sheaths are fuzzy but the culms appear to be slick, shinny and have the white powder ring below the node.
http://mattsbamboo.shutterfly.com/268 Slide show option will show fullscreen.

And here are a couple of shoots around 6".

Matt
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Hi again.
For some reason, Matt, I didn't get your PM. Could you possibly send it again?
Thanks,
Jeff