The Byron ARS H2 Plot, Not Nuda, Not Propinqua, Now What?

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Re: The Byron ARS H2 Plot, Not Nuda, Not Propinqua, Now What

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

:lol: Well, I'm probably a big cheat, but I typed in McClure's description (as relayed by you) into google and the first hit was a bamboocraft.net thread for an id that gave the same description and also described viridiglaucescens as being common to Europe. I did some further research, in case there were multiple boos with that same description and also learned that viridiglaucescens is a particularly strong bamboo, so I figured I was probably on the right path. At least I learned things. :oops:
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Good detective work!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Some more photos for comparison of the Byron ? plant and Ph. viridiglaucesens. There seems to be considerable variation in colors of the shoots on both plants within the same plant. The variations, however are duplicated by each plant, so I suspect that this variability is common. I don't know if I stated that well. Both bamboo have the same variations in their shoot colors.

I'm going to confirm that the known viridiglaucesens plant is indeed correctly ID'd with the supplier, and then I think we can state with some certainty that the Byron H2 plot bamboo is Ph. viridiglaucesens.

Byron plant
IMG_7786.JPG
IMG_7789.JPG
Ph. viridiglaucesens
IMG_8094.JPG
IMG_8090.JPG
IMG_8072.JPG
As you can see I've neglected this grove for several years because up until this year it has not been noteworthy.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

Post by David »

I checked with the nursery that I bought viridiglaucesens about 7 years ago and they confirmed that their plant is ID'd as viridiglaucesens. They sent me pics that matched the plant I have labeled as viridiglaucesens. So the source of my viridiglaucesens, and the plant I bought from them is the same plant. The Byron plant is an exact match in regard to shoot, culm, habit and form of the vriridiglaucesens. Now the bad news. The nursery I bought the viridiglaucesens from said they were beginning to believe that their viridi grove is really propinqua!! Arrgh!!!

I'd like to be the first to say that I have no idea what either of the plants are!! Neither plant exhibits the cold hardiness that one would expect from propinqua or viridiglaucesens.

I am fairly confident that propinqua and propinqua'Beijing' are conspecific.

OK. I'm labeling The Byron plant Ph. Byron 'Unknown'.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

David wrote:Now the bad news. The nursery I bought the viridiglaucesens from said they were beginning to believe that their viridi grove is really propinqua!! Arrgh!!!
:lol: