New to forum, need basic overview of bamboo type

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: New to forum, need basic overview of bamboo type

Post by bamboothew »

Wow, that's a beautiful boo! One day when I'm a billionaire I'll need to build a 100ft tall heated bio-dome so I can grow all that stuff :) I was just thinking those rhizome pics would be perfect textbook pictures of clumping rhizomes!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The pink photo is perhaps deceptive, that suggests A Karr but is probably just environmental, you should check out some references on-line and see if A Karr is ever hairy, I grew some and remember them as not being so - vugaris is very hairy, plus the size of the leaves and the arrangement of the branching all say vulgaris to me. I recall learning not to touch vulgaris culm sheaths unless I want to pick hairs out of my fingers for a few hours.

I've seen folks continually cut the culms off as you suggest and that holds the size down of course! I had a neighbor who topiaried a BvV by his front door- never let it get over 6 feet tall, it was a ball of foliage on top bleached whiteish culms about an inch or so in diameter, it looked like a big baloon on a clump of white culms.

The multiplex produce lots of similar sized branches at each node looking to me like a Chusquea, the vulgaris has fewer and some materially larger than the others and it is easy to see them as culms the way they look- vulgairs has a reputation of being easy to propagate via branch cuttings - I think foxD made some off of my plant here?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
taylor354565

Post by taylor354565 »

I'm not sure if this needs its own post or if it will help further with my identification process. 1 of my 9 potted bamboo has developed yellow spots on the leaves. Could this be a disease or is it something else? All of my bamboo are near a Golden Shower Tree (Cassia Fistula). The yellow flowers have made there way into the mulch around the plants. My first thought was that somehow the yellow flowers were to blame for the yellow spots but all of the plants have yellow flowers mixed in with the mulch and only one of them has developed the spots.

Two of the 9 bamboo pots (including the one with yellow spots) have developed a few random red leaves. Is this anything to be concerned about or give a clue on the type?

A nice thick shoot has come up. It's only about 3/4 of an inch across but it's at least twice as thick as my previous shoots so I'm happy.
I'll include pictures of the new shoot and of the yellow spots.
Attachments
Yellow spots and red leaves
Yellow spots and red leaves
Yellow spots
Yellow spots
1.jpg
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

It looks like bamboo mite damage to me.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.