Which Phyllostachys is this?

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Which Phyllostachys is this?

Post by johnw »

This evening I remembered to measure the leaves of the "humilis-bissetii-once nuda" plant that started this topic. I chose a typical large leaf as well as a typical small leaf.

The uppers are glossy dark green, underside very slightly grey-green and matte but not at all what I would call glaucous.

Here are the results:

12cm x 2cm (4.75 inches x .8 inches wide)

9cm x 1.9cm ( 3.5 inches x .75 inches wide)

The plant has been getting liquid feed every 2 weeks in additional to an intial dose of slow-release fertilizer containing IBDU, followed a month later by some 6-12-12and in late June a generous mulch of well-rotted sheep manure. I hadn't been round to see the plant for 10 days and tonight found 12 rhizomes booming out from the original clump, none more than a foot from the edge of the clump. A few are larger than the biggest culms produced in spring but most are pencil size; some of these whips are clustered in groups of 3 and 4 as shown in the last pic. Quite surprising as this was a neglected potted plant for years and had done absolutely nothing, in some year it put up a single cane.

Indeed the new culms this spring were a sort of blackish green intiall but faded to shiny green.

Any revised thoughts?

johnw.
Attachments
IMG-20120809-01363.jpg
Halifax-20120809-01362.jpg
Halifax-20120809-01361.jpg
Last edited by johnw on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Were those leaf measurements from mature plants? Juvenile leaves are often bigger and different.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan_L wrote:Were those leaf measurements from mature plants? Juvenile leaves are often bigger and different.
Alan

The plant is about 12 years old but sat in a pot the whole time doing nothing. It's now about 6 feet tall - see note above on its sluggishness. I will try to get a better shot of the whole plant tonight, in the meantime this blurry shot.

johnw
Attachments
IMG-20120810-01365.jpg
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - The blurry pic has been replaced. The old canes have the small leaves, the new ones the larger leaves. Height would be 6+ feet if the canes were upright, probably not enough direct sun. We'll see about upsize next year after a year in the ground.

johnw
johnw

Post by johnw »

Found some sneaky rhizomes about 1 meter from centre tonight. Two or three are headed upwards but most are creeping on the ground. Would there by more larger well underground or is what I see what we'll get next year?

johnw - +20c, drizzle and dense fog.