Arundinaria gigantea on Ebay

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Arundinaria gigantea on Ebay

Post by foxd »

Any clue what the person is actually selling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arundinaria-Gig ... 231e1925af
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
philippe smets
Location info: 0

Re: Arundinaria gigantea on Ebay

Post by philippe smets »

:lol:

Arundo Donax which is not a bamboo

have a good day :wink:
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Arundo strikes again! :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
foxd

Post by foxd »

There are two pictures. The second appears to be a Phyllostachys. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moso-Bamboo-Phy ... 2a1e4f826b

I personally think this one is the most funny. It's 2 barely germinated moso seedlings fro $45.90 when there's another seller selling 1000 moso seeds for $12.99. Even if someone buys it, I really doubt that 2 week old seedlings can survive a long shipment from overseas let alone pass customs, due to the import regulations.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Thats like my "fargesia spathacea" seeds. There were 4 distinctly different pictures. One was definitely F robusta. Yes, I took the chance and ordered them anyways :D Turns out they are probably F nitida (woot!), or Fargesia/borinda fungosa (not hardy here by any means).

Good ole ebay!
foxd

Post by foxd »

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on any plants from Ebay, though I've never ordered that many and never bamboo. Let see, of the two I ordered, the Caucasian Wingnut seeds from Ebay never germinated and the Passiflora lutea seeds turned out to be P. suberosa. :evil:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've never ordered bamboos from eBay, but I've ordered a lot of other types of plants, and there have sometimes been issues with mis-identified plants. Sometimes plants are kind of small. I have even had dead plants or missing plants, but I've been able to work those issues out with the seller every time so far. Now I usually read deeply into their feedback to make sure that they sell good plants. I've found eBay to be pretty dependable since you can give them feedback, and there is usually 2 weeks of time where you can either work the issue out with the seller or demand a refund.

Here are examples of exceptional plants that I have ordered through eBay.
Here are 5 itoh peonies that were added to my collection which ended up performing exceptionally well.
http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2 ... onies.html

These bare root raspberry plants that turned out to be very large clumps which filled out 7 (2-5 gallon pots) in only 2 months.
http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2 ... .html#more
foxd

Post by foxd »

My problem has been with the stuff that has taken a while to tell if I'd gotten the right plant or not. When growing from seed it can take a while, as with the Passiflora. That isn't to say that there haven't been problems with plants I've purchased face to face too, like the "Harbin" that turned out to be Henon from a certain vendor Brad and I visited. (It was a small plant, so ID was difficult.) Then there is the Kiwi that to this day I don't know if it is male of female, fortunately I have added more Kiwi vines that are supposed to be male so my odds are good of at least having one male among the lot of them.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

It could have something to do with the gigantic mess that is plant taxonomy. No matter where you go you see miss IDed plants, whether that be online from a hobbyist, "reputable" nursery, or just a joe schmo. There are still tons of plant names that are well outdated (Chrysalidocarpus (dypsis)), certain fargesia/borinda/semiarundinaria.

I guess some people can only sell based on what they are told what it is. Sure, there are always going to be people willingly misleading customers, but I think the majority think they are being legit. IF anything, the seller should be entralled that you are helping properlly ID that sellers stock. Like, if Foxd's sellar ordered/was given that Passiflora as P Lutea, why would he think anything other then what was told?

At the local conservatory, as a hobbyist, not professional, I can notice musidentified plants. For instance, a very tall, non clumping Caryota, is labeled as "caryota mitis", even though the defining attribute of mitis, is its clumpng habit. THere was also a Phoenix Canariensis there. It was 8 feet tall, and most of that was trunk. The leaves are about 6 feet long, and its been setting seed for years. It looks liek a dwarfed canariensis. Its a P Robelineii (sp). All of the older plants were shipped here in the late 60s from reputable sources.

I think the problem is the ever changing world of taxonomy, coupled with a few sellars ignorance..
foxd

Post by foxd »

The changing taxonomy is only part of it. Once a plant is mistakenly IDed the mistake will propagate from there with every division taken from or seed produced by the plant. For something IDed as a rare plant that can be an exponential rate as the progeny are passed on.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.