Phyllostachys i.d.

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Phyllostachys i.d.

Post by johnw »

TC - I don't understand why she said it froze to the ground repeatedly in Halifax. Maybe they weren't giving it enough time to re-leaf in the spring.

She also mentioned the original clump from which hers came might still exist in the Hydrostone area of the city. That's close to work so I will scour the neighborhoods.

johnw - hideously humid here.
Last edited by johnw on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Paul Ont

Post by Paul Ont »

John- Methinks this will be from Don's Phy. aureosulcata v. aureocaulis, which he got from bambooworld back around the year 2000. He does indeed live in the hydrostone, or did when I last spoke with him.

I can probably give you an exact address, if you want to go look for the plant.
johnw

Post by johnw »

That would be great Paul. The lady said there was a good chance he brought it back from Europe as he had imported other things that way. This would make more sense.

It would be great to talk to him. Otherwise she suggested I drive up and down the back service lanes until I saw a yard full of pots!

Small world what?

johnw
johnw

Post by johnw »

Well I buzzed up and down the streets in that neighborhood and finally spied the original plant of 'Aureocaulis' that sparked this topic. It was not hard to spot as it was well past the eaves trough on the house. It appears that it has not died back and is in a spot that makes it impossible to lay down and tarp. Photos 1 & 2, that's a murieliae to the fore in photo 1.

Besides that the owner must be spreading it around as there was another on the next street north - photo 3.

The clumps are surprising tight and there are no signs of any barriers. This has me wondering if on the coast here the Phyllos will behave much as they do on the west coast and the UK - i.e. not aggresive runners.

I must lay now my hands on 'Lama Temple' and the two 'Harbin's though I've heard 'Harbin Inversa' is either tender or cranky to grow. Have others found any variation in hardiness in all the selections of aureosulcata? One would presume the type - rather the green one 'Alata' - would be the hardiest of all but reports and my own experience says 'Spectabilis' was a bit better than the yellowgrove itself.

johnw- +21c and very humid at 22:24 AST
Attachments
Halifax-20120817-01491.jpg
Halifax-20120817-01496.jpg
Halifax-20120817-01499.jpg
Last edited by johnw on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnw

Post by johnw »

I see both Brad and Steve rate 'Aureocaulis' as being quite a few critical degrees more tender than most of the other aureosulcatas. (Source List thread)

I will have to find out how it has performed here over the years.

Brad - In the Source thread and from your posting you say "Phy aureosulcata ‘Harbin Inversa’ – 2F", do you mean plus or minus F.? It's the only one with no + or - signs. The ratings by Brad and Steve there are most useful.

johnw
Last edited by johnw on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Wasn't it the 'Harbin' that was being discussed as finicky? I think 'Harbin Inversa' is no trouble.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - Have you found these to be as hardy as other aureosulcatas?

And 'Lama Temple', how has it fared?

johnw
tncry

Phyllostachys i.d.

Post by tncry »

Based off of Brad's observations on harbin I passed on it. I did plant harbin inversa and it overwintered as well as any aureosulcata. My observations of harbin inversa are based off of one winter only. Here's a pic before it started leafing out. I need to get an updated pic.

TC in PEI
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

For me Spectabilis, Harbin Inversa, & Yellow Groove seem to be of similar hardiness holding green leaves to a tad below 0F, actually temp depends upon lots of factors of course. Aureocaulis here burns earlier than those, and straight Harbin has been the least hardy by a noticeable amount. Harbin Inversa produces many many culms as should be ideal for yellow cane screens but sizes up slower.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw

Post by johnw »

Brad - That's great information to get. Have you tried 'Lama Temple'?

I spoke to the owner of the 'Aureocaulis' a few hours ago. He says in very bad winters Aureocaulis will lose its leaves completely, after normal winters the leaves get some burn but don't drop until early April and then flush again in May. No burn the past winter. He couldn't recall the culms ever freezing back. I thought his was an awfully well-baved bamboo but he said he has to chop off wandering rhizomes in Spring and they can go 15ft every which way. He says it is easy to control and gives pieces away to friends and neighbors, even divisions with 5m canes. He did say it seems to be the biggest diameter culms that break in wet snow.

johnw