Identifying Blue Henon?

Moderator: needmore

zod
Location info: 0

Identifying Blue Henon?

Post by zod »

I have started bamboo in 3 spots in my yard back against the woods. One grouping in Moso and I trust the place I purchased it from so I know it's Moso. The other two groupings are supposed to be Blue Henon however to date I have yet to see any blue coloration take form. This is still young bamboo however and I have no stalks that are taller than about 7 feet or about a half inch in diameter. I really don't trust the source of these though and am afraid they sent me whatever and just tagged is Blue Henon. Any clear way to positively ID these? Should I just post a photo for the experts on the forum? Thanks for the help!
dependable

Re: Identifying Blue Henon?

Post by dependable »

In my experience, the blue tone does not develop until plant reaches closer to maturity and in sunny conditions. In general it should have a fawn colored culm sheath, like the other Phyllosachys nigra types, but have a culm that stays more or less green.
zod

Post by zod »

I snapped some shots...maybe this will help. I'm pretty much bamboo ignorant.

dependable

Post by dependable »

Some good pictures of new shoots next spring would help. If it is Henon, it could use a little nitrogen.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Do those nodes look like henon nodes?

BTW, I keep picturing a Blue Heron every time I see the subject line. :)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan_L wrote:Do those nodes look like henon nodes?

BTW, I keep picturing a Blue Heron every time I see the subject line. :)
No, those nodes scream Phy aurea, I saw the same thing Alan, pretty sure it is not Henon. Even though it is all but impossible to ID bamboo based on photos of young canes, those indeed scream aurea - the one you can sometimes ID at that stage. Without those nodes, there would be no way to know if it were Henon as Dependable said it will be years before the blue aspect surfaces.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

The cups, or bulges below the nodes are very typical of aurea. It is one way I ID that species if it is lacking compressed internodes. The color of the culms is not much of an indicator of the species, or an indicator that it is lacking nitrogen. Those leaves are nice and green and the plant is not lacking nitrogen or iron. My Henon culms get bright yellow here in full sun, and that is typical of that species in the US west. Henon culms grow dull grey in shade, but not in full sun. I actually got my Henon from a lady in California that thought it was Golden, because the culms were so bright golden.
Happy trails...