Shibatea sp.

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Shibatea sp.

Post by johnw »

Spent yesterday digging pieces of this Shibatea in the south. I got it from a friend on Vancouver Island quite awhile back. I assumed it was kumasaca yet it never gets higher than knee-height. It has stayed in a clump about 4ft across from a 4" pot until this year when it's decided to go wandering 7 or more feet from the "clump". Could it be one of the other Shibatea spp.?

-1c at 22:45.
Attachments
Shibatea kumasaca Argyle-20121212-02045.jpg
Last edited by johnw on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Shibatea sp.

Post by Alan_L »

Brad can answer better than me, but Sh. chinensis looks pretty much identical to Sh. kumasaca. Sh. lancifolia (going from memory) looks quite different based on Brad's photos. Are there more in that genus than those three?

Is the parent plant that short too?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I am aware of 4 members of the genus, one looks like Lancifolia (with longer leaves than yours) and the other 3 don't...so I can't tell those 3 apart but yours appears to be one of them. More than likely S kumasaca.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Alan - The main clump is the same height and it has never shown any signs of passing knee-height.

Funny the main clump is a tad yellow despite the soil being very acid and yet these new runners are a good normal green. I wonder if someone in the distant past might have been dumping ashes in the main clump area.

I got the plant simply as Shibatea and doubt the woman that gave it to me would have had access to the other species. Just curious why it has stayed so short as the climate is very mild down there.

We got some nice sturdy props off it on Wednesday.

This phenomenom of the tips dying with the first frost, and the edges of some Sasa leaves - what exactly is the mechanism? How can one part of the leaf be frost-sensitive and the rest of the leaf be hardy. Accumulation of something in tips and edges?

johnw - -2c and a bitter night ahead, maybe -8 to -10c.
Last edited by johnw on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Those look very much like my Sh. kumasaca here, and they never grow more than 2 feet high, in pots or in the ground, in shade or full sun. The leaves burn for several reasons it seems. I have soft well water here, and the soil is acid, but the leaf tips still tend to burn here for whatever reason.
Happy trails...