Meyeri ???

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Meyeri ???

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hi and thank you for reading my post :D
So here it goes again, my search for identification on my first bamboo. I never bought this clump but found it tucked away in a dark corner of my first owned property. I soon developed an interest in gardening because the raised beds were all densely packed and my mother educated me on the soon to be sizes of certain plants. Soooo there came the truck loads of dirt and sweat and the spacing began. I moved plants, bought more plants, build raised beds, bought more plants, built raised beds, and the obsession started!
So next spring while I was learning how tedious weeding was I stumbled upon all these spikes sticking out of the ground by one of my two bamboos. I walked over to the other bamboo and the same thing! How cool I thought, new bamboo! All over too. Awesome !!!!

I've acquired quite a few more I guess in the 6 years I've been at this passion of mine. 24 species to be exact and I really always seem to reason with my self to buy " just one more". LOL.

So here it here it goes: I can't figure this one out at all and I've asked a few people too. Is it possible to be P. Meyeri?

Here's the ID - green culms which turn yellow higher up in the suns array, smooth to the touch, no compressed internodes, leaves are smaller and they are paler green compared to the vivax and henon closer by, shoots are just kind of starting but not really going full tilt till middle of may, some crooked culms like the aureosalcutta aureocaulis, very tight runner and densely packed of .5- .75 culms. 5 years in the ground with fertilizing and mulching and its only 15' at the tallest, I'm going to attach a couple pics for help. I live in a zone 8 with mild winters and lots of rain. Summers are hot but it still is only the PNW also. Thanks for the help everyone.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Meyeri ???

Post by needmore »

I gave up on my meyerii a few years back so can not help with that but I see why you'd wonder. Whatever it is, it's not common...Are the canes unusually strong? If you cut one is it nearly solid at the base and very tough to bend down low? Do the shoots initially look almost black and not develop the blades until elongating?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Van-isle-bamboo

Hi and Thanks for the reply. Yeah whatever it is its really not performing :? Or maybe it is but my expectations are different then the genetics of the strain. The canes are not solid, they have a hollow center but they are fairly strong and very hand around the garden and greenhouse. The shoots as they emerge turn to a more vivid green then black. How well did the Meyeri do for you?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Van-isle-bamboo

Here's a couple shoots just starting too
Attachments
image.jpg