ID help required

Moderator: needmore

ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Re: ID help required

Post by ShmuBamboo »

johnw wrote:Shmu - In the report, of note it says that a controlsusing only the two sticker-spreader & no miticide gave 90% control so I'd be using a s/s no matter what. They must break the water seal of the web and coat the mites. BTW even though Talstar is not a systemic when used against black vine weevil as a soil spray/drench it gave close to 80% control 3 years later, pretty impressive for a pyrethroid. Somewhere I have the documentation from Rhode Island.
Yes, I use a surfactant spreader/sticker in all my sprays, as it makes any spray far more effective as a wetting agent. I use ag oil with a s/s when it is cool enough (below 60 degrees) to avoid leaf damage, and I rotate that with Avid and s/s on my new quarantined plants. Ag oil (and Neem oil) and s/s are both effective against all stages of mites, including mite eggs, which most sprays are not effective against. But they are limited alone because they must come in contact with the mites and eggs to be effective, but they get through or coat the webbing. Also in areas where it freezes, the temps help to kill them off, or at least slow them down between spraying.
Happy trails...
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

:idea: How about Pseudosasa amabilis? :wink:
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

"Talstar is not a systemic when used against black vine weevil as a soil spray/drench it gave close to (0% control 3 years later, pretty impressive for a pyrethroid. Somewhere I have the documentation from Rhode Island."

This should have read: Talstar is not a systemic when used against black vine weevil as a soil spray/drench it gave close to 80% control 3 years later, pretty impressive for a pyrethroid. ASomewhere I have the documentation from Rhode Island.

and is now corrected. It has impressive repllent qualities.

Schmu: Which surfactants do you use? Silwet and Sylgard gave very good control but these tests were done with long drenches in petri dishes so take that with a grain of salt, one could never expect suck results spraying.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia