Likely p. aureosulcata, but ...

Moderator: needmore

cole
Location info: 0

Likely p. aureosulcata, but ...

Post by cole »

We hit the 50% success rate for bare rhizomes mostly planted last winter (with a few added early this spring). Eighteen of thirty-six have now shot. I was wondering if one of the fine resident experts would be kind enough to confirm the attached photo isn't ruled-out as p. aureosulcata. I cut the rhizome out of space between obvious yellow groove and an unknown smaller grove that was a less-hardy variety, and I'm hoping it's YG. I've compared it to Google images, but I'm still unsure - maybe only because it shot just hours ago. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
6-9-16.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Likely p. aureosulcata, but ...

Post by needmore »

Cole, juvenile shoots like that can often look different than their type so I can't guess what that is, it has that juvenile look.

How long were the sections of rhizome that you used? I've always had a high success rate but I use long sections.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
cole

Post by cole »

needmore wrote:Cole, juvenile shoots like that can often look different than their type so I can't guess what that is, it has that juvenile look.

How long were the sections of rhizome that you used? I've always had a high success rate but I use long sections.
Thanks, Brad ... per the juvenile appearance, learn something new every day. This is the first season I've paid attention to new shoots because this new garden is a critical screen for our privacy. I'll grab a pic and repost in a week or so. I don't care if it takes five years, only that it's continued forward progress. We aren't allowed fences or even hedges that delineate property lines in our community.

The 36 new bare rhizomes range from 12" to 24", with a few major outliers. As of today, 19 of 36 have put up at least one shoot (6+/- months after planting). I dug about half the rhizomes myself, and treated the extraction with the care of an archaeological dig. They were transported in a blanket of wet peat, all roots were dusted with rooting hormone, and each bed contains my homemade biochar.
cole

Post by cole »

Brad, I believe this turned out to be a no-brainer.

Thanks again for looking!
Attachments
front6-18-16.JPG
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Not often is an ID so obvious!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com